Author Topic: Which Program  (Read 740 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Which Program
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »
What program do i have to use to view films that players post on the BB? I can easily view them if they are on a youtube link. But when i download the file it can't be opened. Please let me know if i need to download some kind of program, also I tried to open it on Ah Film Viewer and it didnt work.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Which Program
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
If the film is an AHF file type it should play in the film viewer.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »
What program do i have to use to view films that players post on the BB? I can easily view them if they are on a youtube link. But when i download the file it can't be opened. Please let me know if i need to download some kind of program, also I tried to open it on Ah Film Viewer and it didnt work.

When you downloaded and installed Aces High the game software included the program necessary to view any film that you recorded in the game or anyone else recorded in the game.  The Film type is AHF and is stored in the same library as the rest of the files.  The folder name if Film.  When I installed my software a windows two windows icons were generated, one to play Aces High and a second to start the film viewer.  Note that you can not use the film viewer while the game client software is running on your machine.  hope this helps.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
As others have said, the film viewer program comes automatically as a component of all recent versions of Aces High. I think it is named "ahfilm.exe". Look for it in your filesystem, in the same folder where ah.exe (the main Aces High simulator program) is stored. Double-click on the name and it will start. From there, you can use the conventional "File" drop-down menu to find and load a film file whose name ends in ".ahf".

HOWEVER, there are two additional, complicating factors as follows:

1 of 2: Every film was recorded in a specific Aces High "terrain". If you don't have that terrain loaded into your "AHIITERR" folder, then the .ahf film will still run, but you won't see any land features, airfields, cities, etc. It will look like the flight takes place in the middle of the ocean somewhere. Often this doesn't matter, but if you want to watch takeoff, landing, or low-level combat dodging mountains and trees, you won't get the full effect.

2 of 2: Every film was recorded using a specific version of "Aces High". The Aces High flight simulator has been evolving for a long time, and dozens of different versions have become popular and then been retired over the years. Newer versions can store information into film files that older versions didn't know how to interpret. Older versions of Aces High stored film information in ways that newer versions of Aces High will misinterpret. Accordingly, if you want to look at an old film that somebody else has posted in these forums or on a different Internet web site, you may have trouble viewing it unless you have the corresponding, old version of the Aces High software. If you want to build and consult a comprehensive collection of Aces High films, you will probably find it to be a frustrating experience. I've done it, but I also have to maintain a large collection of old versions of Aces High. I hope this helps.
 :salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »
Make sure you exit the game before you view films. You can't run the film viewer when the game is running.