Author Topic: where to aim the guns on a bomber to defend  (Read 2713 times)

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
where to aim the guns on a bomber to defend
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
Hello everyone, looking to find if someone has,or is able to make or share a video showing how to defend the bomber your in with the guns,should you use default sights,leading the enemy plane,knowing when to shoot etc.  :salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: where to aim the guns on a bomber to defend
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
You want to visualize the bandit's flight path extending in front of them. When they are in range shoot at a point on their flight path in front of the bandit so they fly into your stream of fire.

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »
at what range do the guns convergence meet is it the same for all buffs? Ive been having a hell of a time recently where even guys fly right up on my 6 and i just never seem to land any shots on them,within a few shots from them down go my bombers and its a bummer!:{

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »
The guns converge at 700 yards if my memory serves me correctly.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
You may want to take advantage of the extra controller modes in AH.  Say use mode 3 for bombers.  Then you can set the hat switch to move you around quickly from gun position to gun position.  Unfortunately, the numbers used for gun positions were not standardized between bombers.  Its best to choose one bomber and set the hat for that.

Don't forget you can fly from the gun postilions using the rudder pedals.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »
The guns converge at 700 yards if my memory serves me correctly.

depends on what u mean, i think gunsight is at 700 but fire from drone guns convergence at 500
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
There's actually a training pamphlet from WW2 on the internet somewhere that shows the rudiments of firing from a gunners position in a bomber.  I'll have to look for it again.  I clearly recall it saying your aim point for a diving attacker on the bomber's six o'clock was a point in front of the attacker some number of times the exposed tail-to-prop distance of the attacker.  So if it was dead level six o'clock, the exposed distance was zero, so you aimed dead on.  If it was coming in at an angle and the exposure was 10 feet tail to prop, you aimed 10 feet (or 20 or 30, can't remember) in front of the prop.  Or something like that.  If I find it I'll post a link. 
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:00:31 PM »
Here's the manual.
Gunnery Manual

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
I found it.  It's called the 1944 Aircrewman's Gunnery Manual.  The aerial gunnery training starts in section S-1.  The link FLS posted shows this section.  The link below brings you to the entire gunnery manual, all sections.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/AirGunnery/
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »
PM 999000 and see if he will answer some of your questions.

The AH default reticle ring is 100Mil in diameter. When you read the air crew gunnery manual you will run up against the concept of RAD. It along with several other fighter gunnery manuals are included in my historic gunsight pac.

RAD = 1 Radius of the reticle ring.

1 RAD = 35Mil
2 RAD = 70Mil
3 RAD = 105Mil

Depending on the gunsight model Mk9, N6, N8 the reticle was a 2 RAD or 3 RAD. The historic pac has these reticle built to Hitech's Mil measurement. Most of the iron ring sights in gunner positions are 1RAD.

Historic Pac: http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/26509442/file.html

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 04:16:29 PM »
I'll do you one better op, I'll teach you what I know in the Training arena if you want to get together. I've got a lot of information to share that won't do it justice explaining on here. There's more to defending your buffs than gunning. Sometimes relying on your guns alone gets you killed. Being able to maneuver your plane at the right moment to counter a cons angle of attack can be the difference in a fight to/from target or while on your bombing run.

PM me if your interested and let me know when you are available and I will clear my schedule if possible. I'll make a Crack shot out of you! :salute
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 04:22:19 PM »
thanks guys for your info,I did come across the pamphlet talked about, and in the heat of the moment being shot at trying to keep out of enemy guns,some  of that stuff seems to fly out the window! does anyone have any kind of video explaining any of this,i looked through vudu15's videos he doesnt seem to have anything posted about it.thank you again for all the info :aok

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »
thanks guys for your info,I did come across the pamphlet talked about, and in the heat of the moment being shot at trying to keep out of enemy guns,some  of that stuff seems to fly out the window! does anyone have any kind of video explaining any of this,i looked through vudu15's videos he doesnt seem to have anything posted about it.thank you again for all the info :aok
I've never come across a good video on this topic or I would share it. If you want some good reps in the game take some 17's into a furball or defend a base. Some might disagree but it will give you lots of reps in the guns. At times you will have multiple nme's attack you in the span of just a few seconds. No better training than that if your not worried about score while you are learning.

Quick tip: Lead your line of fire and bring it to the target. The greater the angle the greater the lead. Always better to over lead if I'm saying that right then trying to play catch up.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 06:23:37 PM »
There's actually a training pamphlet from WW2 on the internet somewhere that shows the rudiments of firing from a gunners position in a bomber.  I'll have to look for it again.  I clearly recall it saying your aim point for a diving attacker on the bomber's six o'clock was a point in front of the attacker some number of times the exposed tail-to-prop distance of the attacker.  So if it was dead level six o'clock, the exposed distance was zero, so you aimed dead on.  If it was coming in at an angle and the exposure was 10 feet tail to prop, you aimed 10 feet (or 20 or 30, can't remember) in front of the prop.  Or something like that.  If I find it I'll post a link.

This is a great thread and discussion. I rarely go into a buff though when I'm in the tailgunners seat I have to wave the bullet stream like a hose. If I hold right on the fighter I tend to miss, unless they are 400 yds dead astern. It seems at times I've aimed behind the fighter and get hits.

Good discussion.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton