Author Topic: Sad days in MN sports  (Read 221 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Sad days in MN sports
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
First Flip Saunders, GM, Head Coach and part owner of the MN Timberwolves NBA team died of Hotchkins Lymphoma at the age of 60 (my age).  Flip was in his second tenure with the Wolves after being fired by Kevin McHale, then GM.  Eventually, Glen Taylor, the Wolves owner fired McHale and brought Flip back and, after getting the first overall pick in this last years draft, it appeared Flip would get thing pointed in the right direction.  I never met him but I liked Flip and was extremely disappointed when McHale fired him.  RIP Flip Saunders.

Yesterday Jerry Kill announced in an emotional press interview that he was retiring as head coach on the Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Team.  He's suffered from epileptic seizures through his entire tenure with the team, often on the sidelines during games.  His Dr's told him he had to stop coaching.  Jerry Kill brought respectability back to a long suffering  football program in MN, achieving a national rank in the mid 20's and getting them into a bowl game last year for the first time in ages.  Jerry seemed to excel at finding and utilizing talent and was turning MN into a football destination.  I was really hoping for a long run here but such was not to be.  Good luck to Jerry Kill on the next chapter of your life.  Even though you will be missed you're heath is more precious than coaching and your talents will land you in another fulfilling role.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
Re: Sad days in MN sports
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:07:12 AM »
Today 60 can be considered as 'young'.  Flip's intensity from the bench gave a stunning example of focus.  He was taken too young.

Jerry Kill inspired many people both inside and outside his football program.  There wasn't a Minnesota football player who would allow himself to 'let down' with Jerry prowling the sidelines.  His locker room speeches to his players were legendary and always left me wanting to hear more of them.

They were both inspirational leaders.  Joining you in sadness.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
Very sorry to hear about both.  Flip is from the Cleveland area and Kill was doing a tremendous job building a football program and men at Minnesota.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
Sad news about Coach Kill. At least he had smarts enough to recognise the difference between football and family. Hopefully he'll be a fixture for years to come at a safe distance from the Gophers sidelines and the pressures it brings.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »
If you didn't see it here's the full Jerry Kill press conference.  His statement is about 10 minutes followed by 30 minutes of question and answer.  Very emotional:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:02:05 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.