Author Topic: TWC  (Read 923 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
TWC
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:18:04 PM »
So on Monday I will be changing my ISP to TWC. It will be an internet service only. I will start out with their modem, with the intent of getting my own once I decide to stay with TWC.

My question is for those who currently use TWC. I will be standing over the techs shoulder to make sure I see what he does.
IE: does not lock me out of modem with pw and yada yada, shows me how to set modem in bridge mode, or equivalent, to facilitate adding router.

What do I need to know about the service to get a good connect? It will be the 50/5 service.

The pc will be a wired connect, I have cat 5 cables already in place. I will be adding a router in after the fact to get all my home PC's connected. I will have the tech only set it up wih 1 pc. Keeping my dsl service 1 more mth to cover my bellybutton and facilitate new e-mail setup. I will not allow any software to be installed on my pc's. Once working I will add in wifi for my cell phone and 1 camera I have to keep an eye on my elderly mom when away at work.

I hate TWC, thru them out after 3 weeks about 10 years ago for erroneous billing and not providing the bandwidth I paid for. Unfortunately Verizon is raping me now for dsl, I will be paying less money for 15 times the service, so I have to change because of the money vs service. This is my only option due to the monopoly system they enjoy.

Anything would be helpful to know.
TY

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/netneutrality/articles/20141111/06050429103/guy-sues-time-warner-cable-deceptive-acts-false-advertising-over-bogus-promotional-rates-hidden-fees.shtml

This is what I now pay $50+/mth for. the upload rate should be around 6.5 for their 7.68 service. Verizon is literally chasing me out. Main reason I have not played game for a mo, even tho I paid for script consistently.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:48:32 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: TWC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:22 AM »
Fwiw, I've been with TWC for almost a year. Service has been reliable, we get what we pay for 35 down, 5 up - billing so far hasn't been a problem. You may find you get unexpected outages when they do changes their end, they dont last long and you'll get no warning. Longest we've been out was 10 mins so far.

I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
We have Bright House, which is TWC.   Download speed is 150 and upload is 10.  Free upgrade to 200 and 15 is due soon.   We left U Verse after overpaying for crappy speeds.

We aren't leaving Bright House anytime soon.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:09:47 AM »
tanx gents.

did they install anything on your pc's?

Do y'all use their cable modem or your own?
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
tanx gents.

did they install anything on your pc's?

Do y'all use their cable modem or your own?

Nothing is installed on the PC for me.  I use their modem and have been entertaining getting a better one after these five years.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
I have TWC and i pay for 50 mbit down 5 up.... usually get 61-62 mbit down and 6 up so as far as speed im actually getting a little more than i should . 50 mbit is the fastest speed tier in my area but they said 150 mb is otw.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
Is this residential or commercial?

Unless some are different, cable modems issued by the cable co you can log into the modem through an ip address but they will not supply you with the username and password to get past the overview screen. On mine (192.168.100.1, cisco), I can see if the modem is online with the TX, RX and SNR levels. Anything past that you need the username and password which the service provider changed from defaults and will not give to the customer, they have no reason to be past the overview screen.

I think all residential modems (not gateways) are already bridged
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 06:27:14 PM »
Is this residential or commercial?

Unless some are different, cable modems issued by the cable co you can log into the modem through an ip address but they will not supply you with the username and password to get past the overview screen. On mine (192.168.100.1, cisco), I can see if the modem is online with the TX, RX and SNR levels. Anything past that you need the username and password which the service provider changed from defaults and will not give to the customer, they have no reason to be past the overview screen.

I think all residential modems (not gateways) are already bridged

exactly why I will state upfront to the tech that the user name and pw will be left at default so I have access or else.
residential
bridged would mean that the modem settings transfer to the router where I can add multiple devices. I did this with dsl so I am not unfamiliar, just not familiar with cable settings.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:03:22 PM »
In that case unless I am mistaken, 99% of cable modems that are ethernet only are bridged

For charter, ethernet only cable modems   you can access the signal level overview screen via 192.168.100.1, the login and password to get into them are not shared, they are for employee only access. No customer will be given the login information for it because they have absolutely no business inside past the overview screen. And it is not the defaults, they are preset with a unique login and password which is not given out no matter how much someone demands access to it

Now if its a wireless gateway, then you can go in and change your ssid and password since those are usually the defaults either on 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on the brand

Source - employee tech
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 05:57:27 AM »
I also have time Warner cable phone, Internet and tv. Had it for over 10 years and service is great.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:51:42 AM »
Think it might have been last year maybe longer, we upgraded our TWC from 20Mbps up / 3 Mbps down, to TWC's 50/5.     They sent us a new modem to use, which had it's own built-in router...

I talked with Skuzzy if he thought it was possible to just use the modem part and still use my existing router...to keep it short...I had to dig in the settings of the new TWC modem (similar to making it bridged) to bypass it's router, so I could still use my existing router.....just didn't like the idea of having to use a router supplied by my cable provider....

Like 38maw, I have always gotten faster connection speed than what we pay for... 20/3 was hitting 34+/4+ and now our 50/5 is hitting 63 to 67+ / 6+ (up/down)

If you get the modem/router combo, watch your cable bill, for a "home networking charge or fee".... I had to call and force them to remove it from my bill

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »

What do I need to know about the service to get a good connect? It will be the 50/5 service.

With TimeWarner, it is highly recommended to get your own modem.  TW usually uses old, non-DOCSIS 3 compatible modems that throttle your cable modem's bandwidth and using a new modem that is DOCSIS 3 compatible will dramatically increase your speeds. 

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
I had the 50/5 in Austin TX prior to google fiber getting there (They started service the same month I PCSed to Florida). If I had any other option, I would have gone with it. I was calling at least once a week, if not more, because I wasn't even getting 20mbps speed, IF I got service at all. It was dismal.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
I also have time Warner cable phone, Internet and tv. Had it for over 10 years and service is great.

is the only reason I use their modem instead of my own....... been thinking about dropping the home phone, but we do ALOT of faxing and I hate faxing over the internet with stuff like eFax, etc...

edit: I have a Brand New Never Used Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband Modem..... if anyone needs one, pm me for a great deal!

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449517088&sr=1-1&keywords=motorola+sb6120+surfboard+docsis+3.0+extreme+broadband+cable+modem

TC
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:41:10 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »
Bright House (TWC up here) installed this when we signed up a couple of years ago:  http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SBG6580-DOCSIS-Router/dp/B0040IUI46
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC