Author Topic: Understanding range with icons...  (Read 1011 times)

Offline wetcat

• Zinc Member
Understanding range with icons...
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »
My gunnery needs work and it occurred to me that I might not be understanding the range that appears with the target's icon.

Suppose the target's range says '600', then as I approach it changes to '400'. I *think* that means at that instant the target is between 600 and 400, is that right? The number displayed is the closest it could be, the actual range is somewhere between the displayed range and the next highest increment (usually 200 yards).

Thanks for any help!
Menacing Ferrets Fighter Squadron

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Understanding range with icons...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
For many players 400 is a tough range to hit another fighter while maneuvering or even in a 6 chase. 400-800 with a 51D, 47, Dora, as a diving pick or "HO and run" is an art form that can be self taught pretty quickly. You will have to enjoy the bad names others assign to you once you master it.

If it is 400 while maneuvering, learn to hold until 200 and realize, your maneuvering will have you at 200 but, the G forces in your turns will work against what you perceive as easy shots. Morfiend and FLS can improve your ACM to consistently make 200 your gunnery range.

Your assessment to what the range icon is showing you is spot on.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
When it changes from 600 to 400 they are around 500 out, when it changes from 200 to 400 they are 300 out. So each range marker is 100 plus or minus depending on if your closing or pulling away.

Basically, 600= 700-500, 400= 500-300, 200= 300-100

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »
Thanks guys, i didn't know about the way the range switched. I always thought 400 meant 400 when it switched.

Does anyone know why range doesn't show in 100 yrd increments?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »
Most likely to keep some challenge in aiming.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
  And to simulate the difficulty of estimating ranges in real life.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »
BuckShot, way back in Aces High1, it actually did count down in 100yard increments and when it got down to 100 out, it counted down in 1 yard increments down to 0

Edit: my memory fades me...I might have mis-posted, it might have counted down in 100 yrd increments from 1500 down to 1000, then switched to counting down in 1 yard increments to 0.... It's been awhile, it was either one of the two ways...

HTC changed it back around 2004/2005, when AH2 came out...

LOL, you should have heard all the whining, no more Laser tagging others 1,500 yards away....which was an easy thing to do before it was changed

TC
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:57:27 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
Makes sense, thanks.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline wetcat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 11:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Good info!  <S>
Menacing Ferrets Fighter Squadron

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:36 AM »
My gunnery needs work and it occurred to me that I might not be understanding the range that appears with the target's icon.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Wetcat, and welcome to AH! (I recognize your name, the MF squad and especially your avatar from WB).

If you are on the same side as someone, the range will show in exact yards up to 1,000 yards away.  You can go into the Offline Arena or the Training Arena with someone and practice your shooting against FRIENDLY planes while seeing their exact yard range. This can help you learn the sight picture for whatever gunsight you are using at more specific range increments.

For example, I use the US MK9 gunsight, which is simply two concentric rings.  I know that the inner ring represents a 40-foot wingspan at 325 yards, which is the convergence I tend to use for 50-cal planes when dogfighting.  Most fighters in AH are between 32 and 52 foot wingspans, so this gives me a good idea of what my sight picture should be when firing at convergence.  This information is particularly useful in dead six shot shooting, where your "lead" is more of a vertical aiming factor due to the ballistics and convergence setting of the gun package you are using.

Below are 3 screenshots I just took using the US MK9 gunsight at ranges of 300, 400 and 500 yards on the same aircraft type.  (There is a little lag when you click for the screenshot, so I'm within 1 or 2 yards.)  As you can see, even without exact icons you can determine the ranges fairly accurately just based on the wingspan relative to the gunsight.  At 300 yards, the aircraft appears in roughly half the gunsight reticle or 1 radius.  At 400 yards, it's about 75% of the radius.  At 500, it's about 50% of the radius.  Bear in mind that the Offline Drones fly a 30-degree bank angle, which reduces their wing aspect slightly, and is also why I am holding off to the left in each of these shots, as I am trying hold about the correct deflection for that range, at my convergence setting in a Corsair.  (If I squeezed the trigger instead of taking a screenshot, it should kill the Corsair.)

You can learn ranges based on sight picture with whatever aircraft and gunsight you use working offline or in the Training Arena with someone.  The nice thing about the Training Arena is you can also shoot your practice partner repeatedly to see if you have your lead angles right, without the hassle of shooting them down and needing to replane every time. If you would like a few more gunnery tips, I would be happy to work with you in the TA on gunnery and practice methods.  Feel free to PM me or post here.

<S>
Kingpin

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:16:25 AM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »
Most Excellent Post, Kingpin! nice explanation, Sir!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Beau

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
Very info.