Author Topic: Spiny Chair of Doom...  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: Spiny Chair of Doom...
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
LOL! Just watched, I found myself doing "Legs, Abs, Breathing" right along with you. I think I got sick! :)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
LOL! Just watched, I found myself doing "Legs, Abs, Breathing" right along with you. I think I got sick! :)

Same here, because that stuff is so deeply ingrained in my reflexes after so many years.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
Same here, because that stuff is so deeply ingrained in my reflexes after so many years.

How many times do you have to do that as an active pile-it? Is it required on a regular basis? What happens if you wash out after, say the 3rd time?

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
:rofl

Man up you grapefruit! :)

(FYI, I get sick on a FERRIS wheel!)

lol. I'm a proud whiny b%$#h!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »
How many times do you have to do that as an active pile-it? Is it required on a regular basis? What happens if you wash out after, say the 3rd time?

In the USAF you get a basic high G qual fuge ride, up to 7.5 G if I recall correctly.  After T-38s, if you get fighters then you go again for a fighter qual fuge profile which is usually harder, although the A-10 and F-15E ones aren't quite as bad as the F-16, F-15C, and F-22 profiles.  Then if you don't fly a "high performance" aircraft as defined by a list in some reg for a couple of years, then you have to go back to re-qual in the fighter profile again.

I've had to go 3 times.  It sucked each time although by the third one I knew what was coming and had a MUCH higher G tolerance due to experience.  Plus in my last fuge trip I had just come off a T-37 IP tour so I'd been pulling up to 6.5 Gs without a G suit.  With students we don't usually go above 4 but IPs would usually push it up during continuity training so it wouldn't be unusual to go up in formation with another IP in the other plane, and spend an hour in and out of 6 Gs, again without the G suit.  The T-37 wasn't considered high performance so I had to do the fighter refresher at the fuge, but it was a lot easier.  My natural tolerance was higher, my personal competency at pulling Gs and managing my strain level was a lot better, and I knew how bad the disorientation would be so I was highly motivated to do everything right the first time with minimal time spent talking while spinning around.

Still, it sucked all 3 times.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.