Author Topic: Frame rate drops to 35 over large bases/ towns when flying low.  (Read 730 times)

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
I noticed my FPS drop from 150+ to 35-50 when close and flying low over large bases and towns. I turned off Shadows, Star Burst, and Anti Aliasing. I have Object detail slider all the way to the right (detail), have the Ground slider all the way right to 3 miles, have the tree and terrain slider set to 3/4 to the right, and have Environment mapping off.

I have a kick butt PC, so wonder what is up with this; my frame rates are great over smaller air bases.

Any suggestions?

My PC:
Antec 900v3 case with Antec 850w PSU
ASUS Maximus Vii Hero MB (Socket 1150/ Intel Z97)
i7 4790K CPU w/ Corsair H80i V2 Water cooler (Clocked to 4.6ghz)
8gb Corsair Dominator GT PC2000 RAM in dual channel mode with XMP on
EVGA GTX 970 4Gb AC 2.0 Video Card
120mb SSD (Windows 7 Pro) with 1T Data Drive(Games and files loaded)

I have attached my DXDiag report also.

<S>
HamrDown
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:48:36 PM by HamrDown »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Frame rate drops to 35 over large bases/ towns when flying low.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:56:20 AM »
I have similar experience with large airfields.  The lower the alt the lower the fps I have gathered.  Good to report, but I don't expect that to be true past beta.  Wish I knew more to be more helpful to the developers, so I just go on my intuition:  there is a connection to large airfields and low fps.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »
I have gtx 960 and noticed this mostly happened to me at low altitudes near trees

I have all slides to full performance , but trees set to minimum and environmental mapping to 1 notch

I stopped having issues with towns and fields but over forest still some drop from 60 to 40-30 while playing at full HD

I noticed that reducing trees to minimum makes graphics smoother
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:45:37 AM »
Dam trees always at fault for everything.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
I have similar experience with large airfields.  The lower the alt the lower the fps I have gathered.  Good to report, but I don't expect that to be true past beta.  Wish I knew more to be more helpful to the developers, so I just go on my intuition:  there is a connection to large airfields and low fps.

I hope there is a fix before the final release; most people do not have a PC as hefty as mine performance wise, and so, this will be an issue for many others. The shadows also seem to reduce frame rates for me, which should not be the case with the PC I have.

<S>
HamrDown

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »

:rofl :rofl
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »

Funny, we should hug them more.  :aok

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:05 PM »
I tested this today flying at tree top level over enemy and friendly bases.
Between bases 100-120fps at tree top level, med nme base 80-90fps, lg nme base 20-40fps, nme lg vbase 90-100fps; nme fuel fact. 80-90fps.
only slight drop over friendly bases.

I may be stating the obvious but I suspect it's largely due to the number of auto guns shooting.

I'm not sure trees are the issue for the drop in FPS over the large fields. Most of my flying between fields was at tree top level over forests. I'm not saying they don't make a difference. If I climb to a few thousand feet my FPS jump to 150-160. 
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
Between bases 100-120fps at tree top level, med nme base 80-90fps, lg nme base 20-40fps, nme lg vbase 90-100fps; nme fuel fact. 80-90fps.

I may be stating the obvious but I suspect it's largely due to the number of auto guns shooting.

I'm not sure trees are the issue for the drop in FPS over the large fields. Most of my flying between fields was at tree top level over forests. I'm not saying they don't make a difference. If I climb to a few thousand feet my FPS jump to 150-160.

Good catch on the Enemy vs Friendly fps.

HiTech

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »

I found the same issues and results. Glad its not just me. I was thinking I had a bad video card. :O I trust Hitech to fix the issue. PS: The game is really looking good!

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:38:15 PM »
Turn shadows off.  But before you do try this.  Find the flight level that gives you trouble then open up the graphics on the clipboard.  Set it to default.  Then go through the graphics setting turning each off one at a time.  Give it a few seconds to take old then check your FPS.    I think you will find "shadows" is the biggest FPS hog.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
Beat me to it Randy - agreed, when you turn off shadows, boom, fps problems on the deck over enemy bases disappears.  With 980/ti/sli cards it's the same experience for me as those above, although I only drop into the high 40s at worst, usually low 50s is the lowest I see, but here and there 45 to 49 on the deck with the same criteria as those above.  I tried every combination of settings as well, and found that shadows off makes the fps jump back up to 144 or 165 depending on which monitor I'm using.

Game sure looks good, can't wait for it to be live, it's going to be a pile of fun, just in time for new hardware upgrades too.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:48 PM »
I had shadows off when I ran my tests so it doesn't explain the big drop in fps I saw over large bases. I agree, it is the biggest FPS hog, that's why I always have it off. My Radeon 6950 isn't up to running beta at default settings unless I want to settle for FPS of 20-30 most of the time.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL