Author Topic: Hurricane pilots of 17 squadron, Debden, July 1940  (Read 613 times)

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Hurricane pilots of 17 squadron, Debden, July 1940
« on: June 25, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »

Not one of them lived to see 1941.

Mutha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
Re: Hurricane pilots of 17 squadron, Debden, July 1940
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:12:48 PM »
Puts things in perspective doesn't it.

<S>
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »
I was reading on one of the daily defense blogs/sites the other day regarding casualties in the air in the European theater in WW2.  I pray we never have another conflict such as WW2, where peer states with relatively close technology end up fighting on another - the last 15 years has been awful enough in terms of casualties, I don't want to think about how bad it could be now.  This OP is a great example I think of why we should strive to avoid such wars again - entire squadrons/wings could easily be similarly wiped out at a young age today, heh, even more quickly considering how much the lethality of modern a2a and surface to air weapons has increased since 1941.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:11:54 PM »
I was reading on one of the daily defense blogs/sites the other day regarding casualties in the air in the European theater in WW2.  I pray we never have another conflict such as WW2, where peer states with relatively close technology end up fighting on another - the last 15 years has been awful enough in terms of casualties, I don't want to think about how bad it could be now.  This OP is a great example I think of why we should strive to avoid such wars again - entire squadrons/wings could easily be similarly wiped out at a young age today, heh, even more quickly considering how much the lethality of modern a2a and surface to air weapons has increased since 1941.

Very true, but unlike BoB, attrition will be felt most in the air with the availability of the aircraft themselves. There will be squadrons of pilots flying desks waiting for their plane's to come off the line or from mothballs. The drone age will be accelerated into prominence once all the piloted aircraft are lost and can be replaced with drones for 1/10 the time and with 10X the numbers.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:55:20 AM »
Don’t worry, the military industrial complex is already  working on ways to make the manufacturing of the drowns more expensive.  After all, the good old USA has been involved in a shooting war every day of every year since July 4, 1776, except for that one 7 year period between 1934  to December 7, 1941.

check it out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_at_war
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »
Very true, but unlike BoB, attrition will be felt most in the air with the availability of the aircraft themselves. There will be squadrons of pilots flying desks waiting for their plane's to come off the line or from mothballs. The drone age will be accelerated into prominence once all the piloted aircraft are lost and can be replaced with drones for 1/10 the time and with 10X the numbers.

will the drones be automated or will it require sports halls lined with computer desks each with their own HOTAS and human?   

Would AH vets get a call up to serve??      :uhoh
The Few ***
F.P.H