Author Topic: P-38 behavior in the beta  (Read 439 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-38 behavior in the beta
« on: July 31, 2016, 07:50:19 PM »
I'm having trouble with the P-38 that I'm not seeing with any other plane I've tried. I can't call it a bug, but I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed this.

When I am maneuvering hard, wracking it into tight turns and pulling high G's, my engines sound like they are revving and slowing by themselves, and I feel like I'm experiencing asymmetric thrust - maybe its an accelerated stall.   But when I purposely do this and keep an eye on the manifold and tachometer, I don't see much change (occasionally the manifold pressure dips and comes back)  But the engines sound like the rpms are fluctuating rapidly.

I have noticed this with the 38J and L, havent tried the G yet.  But I went into AH2 and tried to duplicate the problem but could not.

Can anyone else confirm this?  Any ideas what might be happening?   

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-38 behavior in the beta
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »
See if the change is associated with turning your head. could be from the dynamic sound system.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
It's the new propeller model.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:52:37 PM by FLS »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:12 PM »
What's the new propeller model?

Why do I notice it so severely in the P-38?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »
What's the new propeller model?

Why do I notice it so severely in the P-38?

It has two propellors.  :D

Hitech added governor lag for the constant speed propellers and they are also affected by air pressure changes such as very slow or fast flight. When your airspeed or throttle setting changes in AH3 the propellor pitch doesn't change instantly like it did in AH2. Now there is a little delay before the pitch adjusts.

Since the RPM is changing, the spiral slipstream, Gyroscopic precession, P-factor, and torque, are changing too but you'll notice that more in the single engine fighters.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »
FLS would this account for the feeling that I get in 109's and 190's of being generally more unstable in fights?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »
FLS would this account for the feeling that I get in 109's and 190's of being generally more unstable in fights?

Hard to say since I don't know what you're noticing. They feel as stable to me. There seems to be less yaw and roll from the propeller now on the vertical snap roll departure.

You can fly an aerobatic routine of your fighter maneuvers to compare both versions.