Author Topic: V Sync: On or Off?  (Read 347 times)

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
V Sync: On or Off?
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:51:31 AM »
   I just tried AH III with V Sync off. Frame rates were 135-190+ without any screen tearing. Game ran very smooth. Will v-sync off have any negative effects on my monitor since it is only rated at 60 Hz?

GTX 1070 vid card and BenQ 27" monitor at 2560 X 1440. Using DX 11 version of pre-rease ver.

With v-sync on was getting 59-60 fps, sometimes dropping to 45-55 fps.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: V Sync: On or Off?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:16 AM »
I've always heard that V-sync should be on for AH.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:00:39 AM »
    That is what I have always heard also.

Just tried III offline and fps were steady 100 and did notice slight screen tearing when looking around with TrackIR.  Went online and got faster fps but also had slight tearing when looking around. There were several friendlies and enemys over enemy base. V-sync was off during these flights.

The screen tearing was not too bad but will turn V-sync back on now.

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
I'm fairly certain V-sync is to be on except for testing. The opening screen for the AHIII has the option to disable V-Sync, but states it should be disabled only for testing.  I'm very pleased with FRs stuck at my maximum (59-60) regardless of the situation.  Settings are above the default.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:12:12 AM by FBScud »

Offline TerryRF

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »
    I was just experimenting with it off based on a conversation with someone who always leaves it off. I have turned it back on and will leave it on. My fps is 59-60 and video settings are quite high in AH III and everything looks great. <S> HiTech.

Experiment is over!