Author Topic: USB issues  (Read 506 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
USB issues
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:25:49 PM »
Im hoping someone else has had this problem and fixed it. I have three powered USB hubs. Connected to them I have various things. Controllers, fitbit, Razor keyboard, a bunch of stuff. My controllers are an X52 and rudders, a Logictec G13, a razor key board, a G700 mouse, TrackIR, two printers connected...ect Im having an issue with losing connection with a controller while the game is being played. What this does is wipe my X52 profile clean and I have to alt/tab to load a new profile. I also have to readjust my G13 on my 2nd monitor so I have anb easy way to see what keys do what. Oh and I have a USB-3 desk drive connected to a USB-3 port in the computer.

Now I just had two USB Hubs blank out where nothing on them was being read and had to restart the computer.

Mind you this is a system that has ran like this perfectly for years. Tho it has always been kinda persnickity that I have the right USB connected to the right port. I have tried turning off power management in control panel/devices but all that does is cause the computer to crash when I try and play AH. So I have to return power mngmnt to windows.

Im at the end of my rope. My first thought is power but hell its ran like this for years and the Hubs are powered. I hope I explained my issue right and someone can help me here. Thanks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: USB issues
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Im hoping someone else has had this problem and fixed it. I have three powered USB hubs. Connected to them I have various things. Controllers, fitbit, Razor keyboard, a bunch of stuff. My controllers are an X52 and rudders, a Logictec G13, a razor key board, a G700 mouse, TrackIR, two printers connected...ect Im having an issue with losing connection with a controller while the game is being played. What this does is wipe my X52 profile clean and I have to alt/tab to load a new profile. I also have to readjust my G13 on my 2nd monitor so I have anb easy way to see what keys do what. Oh and I have a USB-3 desk drive connected to a USB-3 port in the computer.

Now I just had two USB Hubs blank out where nothing on them was being read and had to restart the computer.

Mind you this is a system that has ran like this perfectly for years. Tho it has always been kinda persnickity that I have the right USB connected to the right port. I have tried turning off power management in control panel/devices but all that does is cause the computer to crash when I try and play AH. So I have to return power mngmnt to windows.

Im at the end of my rope. My first thought is power but hell its ran like this for years and the Hubs are powered. I hope I explained my issue right and someone can help me here. Thanks.

By powered im assuming you mean it has a wall plugin to power it?

First thing I would try is new powered USB 3.0 hubs. Make sure the 3.0 hub is plugged into a 3.0 port. You can plug multiple hubs into one hub if need be if you don't have multiple 3.0 ports.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 08:44:57 PM »
Yes, what happens is one of the micro-power supplies for the hubs burns out and you get power through the USB cable only.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »
Yes the USB-3 drive is plugged directly into the USB-3 plug in the the MB.

The USB hubs are to new to be burnt out. It looks like I may have solved my problem. I assumed it was power related, dont ask me why the hubs are powered and supposedly windows can take 127 devices, but I plugged the ones I figured the biggest power Hogs directly into my computer. I have a Digital Storm so I have a lot of USB ports in the MB. Thanks and we'll see.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:46:41 PM »
That kind of defeats the point of having powered hubs, unless you mean that the hubs are powered, but also plugged directly to the MB?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
That kind of defeats the point of having powered hubs, unless you mean that the hubs are powered, but also plugged directly to the MB?

All Hubs are plugged directly into the MB. Thru USB ports. As to defeats the point I have to many USB devices to simply use computer ports. That and some devices act weird unless connected to certain port in a certain way. For instance my rudders only work if I connect them to a port thats on a keyboard. So when I needed a keyboard I had to buy one with a USB port. Who knows why? All I know is I want stuff to work.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
So it still might be a power issue...

How much power do the power supplies of each hub provide? You can see the power resources and nominal usage in Device Manager under USB Controllers/USB Root Hub. If there's headroom in every root hub and all your peripherals are listed there, a power supply might be failing. An easy way to test them is to unplug a hub from a computer and try to charge the battery of your phone/tablet using the unplugged hub.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »
So it still might be a power issue...

How much power do the power supplies of each hub provide? You can see the power resources and nominal usage in Device Manager under USB Controllers/USB Root Hub. If there's headroom in every root hub and all your peripherals are listed there, a power supply might be failing. An easy way to test them is to unplug a hub from a computer and try to charge the battery of your phone/tablet using the unplugged hub.

As far as I know the powered hubs are rated 1/2 per 1/2 power between the Hub and the computer. That is the powered Hub provides 50% the box the other 50%. Since I seem to have solved my problem by connecting my Keyboard, a major power drain, and my G13, another major power drain, to the box it would appear I cured it. But this is all something Ive tried before and different combinations there'off. There seems to be no explanation to it other then its working now. Im still scratching my head as to why my Saitek rudders only work when connected thru my keyboard and not thru ANY USB port in or out of the computer.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:21 AM »
It can get complicated really fast.

There are only two, or three (2 USB 2.0, 1 USB 3.0) USB hubs inside a computer, regardless of the number of ports available.  It would not be too difficult, even with externally powered USB hubs, to overload any give USB port of a computer.

To be able to communicate with the computer, some power has to be drawn from the USB bus by the external hub.  If you have a lot of active devices, connected to an external hub, it could still draw more power than the internal USB hub can handle.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com