Author Topic: Prop Gripe  (Read 646 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Prop Gripe
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2000, 12:24:00 AM »
funked, re-read his post. He didn't say it was right. He said it is close. I *know* that a real 47 can't do what this online version can. Perhaps the man that has flown one in the real world hasn't exceeded real life limitations in the game. AND dropping troops in the vertical just would never happen...

Get my drift?  

If it stays the same it's not going toi hurt my feelings. I just want a tougher environment overall. Fun, ease of play, dweeb planes, well I guess if you gotta...

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2000, 12:25:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by Voss (edited 05-22-2000).]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2000, 12:31:00 AM »
I was getting ready for a drop the other night when I got a six call... I checked behind and sure enuff a hawg was roarin in for the easy kill. I stabbed the rudder; rolled hard with it; pushed in full down elevator as she got inverted and the hawg roared thru; blazing away with all them cannons.. and missed me clean. I finished the roll by feeding in top rudder; opened the door and kicked out the drunks.

Dunno if it was a historicly accurate move... but it worked.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

funked

Prop Gripe
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2000, 12:49:00 AM »
OK Voss.  

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2000, 02:07:00 AM »
I'm gonna have to go with bigjims opinion  
I've talked to c47 owners that have flown in to the airport I fly out of.
the goon was a sweetheart airplane.

after all we fly the c47 with 25% fuel.

and any plane can go vertical if it has enough power and light enough, even a 172 which by the way can do a great hammerhead   (heheheheeh)

just got to be gentle with it  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2000, 03:26:00 AM »
Citabria, please become a pilot for a major airliner.

Then, the first and only time I am on a flight, I am sure I'll hear "ok, passenger dudes, check THIS move out"  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Prop Gripe
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2000, 04:02:00 AM »

The ability to use the idle propellor and its associated drag to slow the planes in dives is the single most glaring absence in these FMs i m o.

Dead right Yeager, but perhaps even more important in vertical maneuvers.  How many of us have gone up into a hammerhead, tried to reverse quickly at the top, only to find we wallow at the top and can't quite get the nose around as we would like it?

Introducing prop drag would mean that when pointing straight up, closing throttle would act like a big air brake, slowing us up quickly and allowing for that fast hammerhead reversal.

Now if they could just get the long range gunnery fixed this sim would be perfect  

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
'feel the heat .......'

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2000, 01:17:00 PM »
Sorry, Cit, but I think you have misunderstood me. The 47 we have allows a pilot to fly vertical, or even upside down, while he is dispensing drunks. Is it Pez, or is it Goon?   Cripes, tonight I'm gonna do the outside delivery again, and record it just for you.  

Doh! Apology re: rhyme.

[This message has been edited by Voss (edited 05-22-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2000, 03:22:00 PM »
after seeing footage of a 707 doing a barrel roll I don't discount any aircraft from getting in an unusual attituds  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Prop Gripe
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2000, 04:12:00 PM »
Basically every "airworthy" Aircraft can do an aileron roll .. -> see the 707 mentioned above .. not that everybody CAN do it tho (Tex Jhonson could .. that Lufthana dude didn't)

Regarding the HOG's Torque .. the unfamous Torque rolling to inverted came from a lot of balked carrier landings, where you're basically in a stalled or almost stalled condition untill you slamm throttle .. then you have full ailerons and rudder to counter torque.. AND you have slipstream on your wing and rudder... makes for the perfect stalling of the left wing .. and off you go..

also a lot of them torque rolled when pulled off the ground when they were not quite ready to fly (speed too low again).

There is people who kill them selfes in C172's after a balked landing when they firewall their whopping 160 Horses and loose controll with full counter roll controlls ..  

But NO HOG would have flipped inverted from standing still .. ground looped or put on the nose yea that you can have ..

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2000, 11:46:00 AM »
 Freind of mine is a pilot and a skydiver. He used ta tell me stories of co-ed naked skydiving into a state park. He had a park ranger hassle him about drinking in the park, so on the next flight(he being the pilot), he rolled on his side, slightly nose up with the door open and emptied about 5 cases of spent beer rounds across the park(for eviro/greenies, this was early 80's).
Needless to say, the ranger was not impressed. All in a C-47!

------------------
Liz of TSM
  "Never take counsel of your fears."
T.J.(Stonewall) Jackson

[This message has been edited by Lizard3 (edited 05-24-2000).]

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Prop Gripe
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2000, 12:33:00 PM »
torque is made up of 4 elements:
1. torque reaction from the engines propeller
2. corkscrewing effect of the slipstream
3.Gyroscopic action of the propeller
4.Asymetrical loading of the propeller (P-factor)

No this is very wrong, Torque is made up from arms,legs,torso and a head, just wanted to clear that minor issue up.