Author Topic: low fuel indicator  (Read 1051 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: low fuel indicator
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
Why wouldn't you use the fuel gauge? 

I do use the fuel gauge, but fly different airplanes and don't always remember what "6 minutes" is on the gauge for a
particular plane, but a red indicator would be hard to mistake.  Besides, it would "realistic" and be cool.   :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:32:28 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
I do use the fuel gauge, but fly different airplanes and don't always remember what "6 minutes" is on the gauge for a
particular plane, but a red indicator would be hard to mistake.  Besides, it would "realistic" and be cool.   :D

I'm never in the air long enough for my fuel-indicator to get very low.   :(

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
Having several thousand hours in WWII era aircraft, I can tell you that fuel gauges of that era are not particularly reliable.

Sure some have fancy markings and such that might make you think you have a specific amount of fuel remaining but they cannot be relied upon.

The procedure was to fill the tank and look and make sure it was full OR physically measure the fuel with a graduated stick if the tank was partially full.

Once you start the engines, you track your power settings and time and make sure what you see on the gauges sort of jives with your planned fuel burns.

Colmbo can back me up on this.

What AH calls an E6B is a actually a very sophisticated fuel management computer that does what only modern aircraft do. It tells you exact fuel load, minutes and range at current power setting/speed. We have way too much information for WWII flying but thats okay.

We are missing some basic tools such as a distance measuring tool but its sorta easy to guesstimate range with grid squares.

What i would like to see is a player settable fuel light instead of a hard coded low fuel light but thats just me.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
What i would like to see is a player settable fuel light instead of a hard coded low fuel light but thats just me.

Even better.   :aok
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »
Why wouldn't you use the fuel gauge? 
Perhaps not rely on it 100%, but definitely use it for some kind of reference.   :airplane:

Exactly.  Even tho not ultra accurate they are usually consistent in the error.  A gauge can let you know you've sprung a leak for instance if you notice the gauge is reading abnormally low vs your fuel burn computation.

For the Cessna jump planes I flew we had a graduated stick --- in the 206 fuel to the third mark on each side was enough for 4 loads to 12,500 with a legal reserve.   My 182 with enough fuel for one load would have both gauges sitting on the red empty mark as I taxied out -- great for causing stress in visiting jumpers or noobs. :)

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »
My 1948 Cessna 170 gauges were useless unless the tank was empty. Then they worked great. My current plane doesn't technically have a fuel gauge but the tank is opaque and I have a reverse camera pointed at it and I can literally see the fuel level. Stopwatch has always been my fuel gauge.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.