Author Topic: Hurri Profiles.  (Read 13020 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Hurri Profiles.
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 11:30:08 PM »
Based off of this modeling site the desert II D's with a single letter are not RAF 6 squadron. They are SAAF 7 squadron that worked together a lot with 6 squadron.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/articles.php?id=3497

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:7_Squadron_SAAF_insignia.jpg

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
SAAF Hurricane MKI 3 squadron.

Captain J E "Jack" Frost.

Get some orange roundels with this plane plus some nose art.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/thread/1336662185/1337165106/Late+for+the+Dance+-+Plodding+On
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:02:26 AM by lyric1 »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
SAAF Hurricane MKI 3 squadron.

Captain J E "Jack" Frost.

Get some orange roundels with this plane plus some nose art.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/thread/1336662185/1337165106/Late+for+the+Dance+-+Plodding+On

Or... THIS would be good too, Greebo.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:13 AM »
If a reasonable photo of the Lance Wade Hurricane can be found I could skin it. I hate working from profiles alone, they are sometimes not very accurate or are even pure inventions of the artist.

Not complete but reasonable,only took me a year & a half to find it.  :rock

Only just noticed the art work from the book got the American flag all wrong with its colours. Don't think an American during WWII would allow that to happen with his country's flag on his aircraft.

Just proves Greebos point about trusting profiles.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:46:27 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 07:05:30 AM »
The profile earlier in this thread also shows the aircraft as a Mk IIA but calls it a Mk IIC, while this photo is of a Mk I. OTOH the lack of squadron codes may be accurate, as I have seen photos of 33 squadron Hurris with no codes. The photo makes this a candidate for skinning but I need to do a bit more research first.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
The profile earlier in this thread also shows the aircraft as a Mk IIA but calls it a Mk IIC, while this photo is of a Mk I. OTOH the lack of squadron codes may be accurate, as I have seen photos of 33 squadron Hurris with no codes. The photo makes this a candidate for skinning but I need to do a bit more research first.

In the book I have he flew Hurri I's & IIB's & had 13 kills in those before changing over to Hurri IIC's where he added seven more. No mention of the nose art & no photos of any Hurricanes in the book. When he changed squadrons & was put in Spitfires no nose art could be seen at all on any of the aircraft he is shown with.

I also could never find any squadron codes on 33 squadron Hurricanes either.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
While I'd rather skin a Mk II as it would get a lot more use, I will only do a skin that has photographic evidence to back it up. So I'll likely skin Wade's Mk I at some point, but will probably do a Belgian Mk I first.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
While I'd rather skin a Mk II as it would get a lot more use, I will only do a skin that has photographic evidence to back it up. So I'll likely skin Wade's Mk I at some point, but will probably do a Belgian Mk I first.

Well here is more to confuse things.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/211381233/Airlife-Hurricane-OCR

BP186 was a Hurri IIC.

The book I got this from has no listing for 33 squadron in regards to Hurricanes at all.  :headscratch:
Did they get the aircraft from 73 squadron?

Greebo what on the new photo lets you tell what model it is?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
The conical shape of the spinner and the oil collecting ring show it as a Mk I. The Mk II had a longer, larger diameter spinner with a more curved profile to house the Rotol constant speed propeller mechanism. Also the Mk II's wooden Rotol prop blades look different to the Mk I's metal ones and on the Mk II the front part of the fuselage cowling was re-profiled to blend to the larger spinner.

As BP 186 was a Mk IIC then we don't have an airframe code that matches the Mk I photo. That puts me off doing it TBH.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:02:47 PM by Greebo »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
Well a little closer to finding out what aircraft F/L Lance Wade used. 
Three Mk. Is were used by him while in 33 squadron.

Also looks like he did not carry the nose art across the multiple Hurricanes or Spitfires he flew.
Here is a photo of a Hurricane Mk. IIb he flew listed above BG974.
No squadron codes visible in this image either.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:25:13 PM by lyric1 »