Author Topic: frame rates  (Read 439 times)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
frame rates
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:17 AM »
https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/ROG-GL553VD/

I just purchased the above lap top.  I have been attempting to use the lap top for play but it will not get above 31 fps and is real jerky to the point of making it hard to use the mouse to select something from the clip board.  From my reading of the specs the above unit should be more than capable of running the game.  One thing I think is it is not using the gpu because it says intel r something selected and the video useage is extreme. 
I am not a computer guy but I have updated the latest drivers with the NVidia app, check the control panel for auto select in the 3d panel.  I have played with the video and graphic setting with no better performance.  Also when the game is up the terrain looks horrible, like something from twenty years ago, bland with no vegetation and little detail on anything and still 30's on the frame rate.  Any help with this would be great
thanks  :bhead :bhead :bhead

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: frame rates
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
You may be on the right track in suspecting that the Nvidia graphics aren't being used. IIRC it's somewhere in the Nvidia control panel where you can select it to be used for playing AH. Those with somewhat similar systems can give you more detailed instructions if you don't find the setting.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
yeah because when I go into the NVidia control panel the intel r is selected and the auto select is primary, I don't know enough to change it or how to select the ge force gpu as primary for the game.  I am thank you for the reply though.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
All newer laptops with dedicated graphics cards also use the embedded video on the CPUs...they default to the embedded video as it saves on power and preserves battery life.

For every game you load, you have to go into the Nvidia control panel and select which GPU you want to use to run the game.

PIA, but once you know how to do it it is a piece of cake.

Skuzzy posted an excellent link which walks you through it (With pictures so must be for pilots!)...

Good Luck!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:17:28 AM »
One more thing: Check the Power Management options especially if you play using the battery instead of mains. Most likely the default power option will try to save the battery life by restricting the use of the better video card.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 04:23:42 AM »
thanks to all that helped and you were correct.  I went in and added the AH game and viola instant 60 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :cheers:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:16 AM »
Glad you got it sorted  :cheers:

Kotisivuni