Author Topic: Losing internet connection(Not an AH issue)  (Read 400 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Losing internet connection(Not an AH issue)
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
I have a cable modem hooked to a wireless router.  M PC is hard wired to the router but we have other wireless devices on the network.  No streaming.

Every night my internet connection drops out for say a minute killing my network and booting me off AH.  Everything resets with no problem and I just have to restart AH.

Is their a way to monitor the network so I know if the network is dropping out first or the internet connection?

Now is it the chicken or the egg question.  MY IP says they do not see a problem

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Losing internet connection(Not an AH issue)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
Same time every night?  Or alternately, does it happen at the same time past the hour?  If it's somewhat predictable, do you have the capacity to hook your computer straight to the modem taking the router out of the equation?

Years ago I had a router that would boot me on a timetable.  I believe it was every 6 hours on the dot, from the time I reset the router.  If memory serves it was to do with how it was doing DHCP, switching to a static IP solved that particular issue.  Not saying that would apply in your situation, the point is consumer grade routers in my experience can have some odd behaviors.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Does it drop every night at the same time? And does this happen to the wireless devices, too? One way to control that would be to put a 10 hour video running on a tablet/laptop while you're playing. The HD fireplace is what I used for laptop battery testing, it was the least obtrusive.

If the entire house drops off, it's your router losing connection. One possibility is the lease time ending, the modem not being able to renew it automatically. The lease time is set by your ISP, but your modem is the device which should send the renew signal. When was the last time you rebooted your modem? Or updated its firmware?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
The time it happens varies.  One day last week it did not drop out.  It can happen form one to three times a night. 

It does drop the network every time.  It may happen during the day but I am rarely using the internet during day outside of an occasional Google.

The IP rebooted the modem yesterday.

I was thinking about this software

https://netuptimemonitor.com/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:12:33 PM by Randy1 »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
Thanks to the clarification. The variation in times leads to think it's not a lease time issue. Then again, my ISP once had a 10 minutes lease for some odd reason, they dropped me off while I was reading my e-mail. Is there a log file option in your modem? You know, it's basically a Linux computer which you can operate through your browser...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
The tech came back out about 30 minutes after I called.  We have a super provider.  We have been on their watch list since it was first reported.  He showed me graphs noting no loss of service.  He did  say a quick hit may not be long enough for their software to capture the drop out.

He swapped out the modem to a different model. 

Will wait and see how the game plays out tonight.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 05:49:10 AM »
It happened again.

I did a small but interesting test.  I unplugged the tie from the cable modem to the apple router.  The router light went amber.  I plugged it back in and the router light went instantly green.

When the mystery drop occurs, the router takes longer to recover as if you disconnected the power cable.

Now I think it is not the IP but my wireless router.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
Plug your computer into the router with a wire cat5b/6, and test if it behaves the same way, not only do you get lower latency but also get better throughput and better consistency.

Wireless are prone to disturbances from other devices, specially at the 2.4ghz band.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
Apple router - there's your problem.