Author Topic: Is topgun 2 really Is it really In the works?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Is topgun 2 really Is it really In the works?
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
LOL that was clever   :lol

Top gun fun fact:  USN only gave the production team one A2A missile shot.  The same shot was mirrored for left / right F14 shots throughout  :old:

Same thing for every air-to-air scene. There were only about 1-2 minutes of airborne footage, and every fight scene is just the same half-dozen shots mirrored and/or in a different order.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
Same thing for every air-to-air scene. There were only about 1-2 minutes of airborne footage, and every fight scene is just the same half-dozen shots mirrored and/or in a different order.

Not exactly. 

It was a lot more than two minutes.   You have more than that in just one sequence.

They actually filmed a TON of footage, just that most of it wasn't useful.   The editors did a masterful job of piecing together something fairly coherent out of reels and reels and reels of film. 

Also the use of models instead of CGI was a plus, IMO.   CGI never looks right.  Reference the WATCH THE BIRDIE scene. 

Another saving grace was the extensive use of oxygen masks.   Since you can't read lips any dialogue necessary can be shoehorned in just about anywhere.

SFX - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x3MAWMdKhY4

EDITING - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I27j-dep0fg
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:47:56 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »

You misunderstand, Serenity.

It doesn't piss me off. It's tiresome. It's trite. It's ubiquitous. Most of all, it's boring.

It's every old WW2 movie from the 50s-70s having the mandatory soldier from Brooklyn.

It's cowboy movies from the 50s and 60s that have to show saguaro cactus, even if the story is set in Kansas.

Beyond that, however, it IS the PC messaging. It's the non-stop attempt to impose a "new moral orthodoxy imposed uniformly on all."

This popped up today on RCP and directly exemplifies what I am talking about and it is the source of that quote.

https://stream.org/banning-lou-reed-the-cultural-revolution-eats-its-fathers/

It doesn't piss me off but it does concern me. As it should you, seeing as you are now sworn to protect the Constitution and the BOR. No moral orthodoxy of the day should be imposed on any of us.

Just to be clear, I don't care what consenting adults do in private. Not my concern. As long as there is mutual consent, it's all good. That said, children under the age of reason can't give consent by definition. Neither could Richard Gere's hamster. If someone want's to plonk the knothole in a pine board, it's no business of mine seeing as the board is inanimate and consent doesn't enter into it.

The Borg-like non-stop attempt to assimilate all into the latest fad new moral orthodoxy is just......boring to the extreme.

It's entertainment---if I wanted to watch a documentary I would watch a documentary
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 11:04:48 AM »
I don't find deliberate, repetitive, extreme PC social engineering entertaining.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
I don't find deliberate, repetitive, extreme PC social engineering entertaining.

They don't even bother with subtlety anymore.  Pushing agendas disguised as entertainment and expecting you to want to pay for it. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »

But OTHER types of propaganda are totally fine?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
Well, Comrades, feel free to pay $30 for you and your date to attend the Hollywood Politburo's re-education camp 2 hour classes.

I think I'll pass.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Well, Comrades, feel free to pay $30 for you and your date to attend the Hollywood Politburo's re-education camp 2 hour classes.

I think I'll pass.

I mean, you're complaining about a (THEORETICAL) agenda being pushed in the sequel to what is very likely the GREATEST propaganda movie of all time...

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2017, 12:19:42 PM »
I mean, you're complaining about a (THEORETICAL) agenda being pushed in the sequel to what is very likely the GREATEST propaganda movie of all time...

I wouldn't go that far. 

This film didn't even have a real enemy.

It was a rock video based around real life with the required Hollywood nonsense sprinkled in.   It (thankfully) painted the military in a much-deserved positive light after decades of post-Vietnam doldrums. 

You were probably not even alive then.   America was finding her confidence again.  The economy was booming after the malaise of the disastrous 70s.   The military was being revitalized.  It was okay to be a patriot and wave the flag.   This movie just happened to come along at the exact right moment. 

The Navy had script review authority in exchange for cooperation but it wasn't their project and it was not misleading.   Propaganda?   No.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:25:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
The Navy had script review authority in exchange for cooperation but it wasn't their project and it was not misleading.   Propaganda?   No.

Whether or not the Navy had a part in writing it has no effect on whether or not it's propaganda. The original was pushing an agenda just as much as what's being theorized here, the only difference being you agreed with the original ideas.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
Whether or not the Navy had a part in writing it has no effect on whether or not it's propaganda. The original was pushing an agenda just as much as what's being theorized here, the only difference being you agreed with the original ideas.

You might want to read what propaganda means.   You're way off base in that regard.

The ideas were factual and prescient--looking backward and forward respectively--as FWS grads like Cunningham showed in Vietnam and Desert Storm proved four years later.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:17:38 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2017, 11:55:02 PM »
And just what was the propaganda message Serenity?

That flying high performance aircraft is way cool and fighter jocks get the babes? Was that it?

Or was it that the US CV air arm is an amazing weapon?

What was the propaganda message you see in it?

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »

John, I wonder if you did get into screenwriting, how long would it be
 for you to sell a script.  Well, I'd buy one....but I'm poor  :rofl
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
Top gun is on par with the sound of music
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2017, 07:36:06 AM »

John, I wonder if you did get into screenwriting, how long would it be
 for you to sell a script.  Well, I'd buy one....but I'm poor  :rofl

Glenn! How's it going buddy? Long time since Pain Squad but here we are, eh?

In today's environment, I'd sell a script on the 12th of Never.  ;)