Author Topic: The Vision Dome..... OHMYGOD  (Read 769 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Vision Dome..... OHMYGOD
« on: May 03, 2000, 12:31:00 AM »
I just saw a fascinating demonstration on the technology segment of my local evening news about a new device not yet passed the developement stage.

The Vision Dome is a large, fully half sphere, reflection device that looked to be at least 3 feet across.  Underneath a specialy made desk was a lazer projector.  On the screen was a computer generated yacht sailing across a computer generated bay from the perspective of the computer generated yacht deck!  It looked more than twice totally F****ing awesome!  The perception of motion was easily conveyed through a flat TV screen!

Do you folks see the same application I do?
(hint: PC SIMS)

As an example: I work in a large building that houses full motion simulators for 737,747,757, 767 and 777 flight training.
I have been fortunate enough to fly a 777 on final to SEA-TAC airport in the Full Motion Sim.  The area where the outside view is projected is a giant half sphere and extremely convincing with regards to virtual motion.

What we will soon see is a mini device, this half sphere, being used as a computer monitor.  Although the price will undoubtably be hefty for a short while, I am sure that versions of this will come along and be, more or less, easily affordable.

Totally right on!

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2000, 01:06:00 AM »
You didnt get the name of the producersdevelopers ?
I assume that they got an web page, and it would be really interesting to see what that page says      

If not yeager, did any others see this program and got the name?
It would be really great to have a device like this at home      
Shure my friends would think something like "Now, thats it, he has lost it this time", but still, it sounds sooo cool            

------------------

The Wild Vikings
Commanding Officer
lasse-

[This message has been edited by lasse (edited 05-03-2000).]
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Hans

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2000, 02:23:00 AM »
Buy four extra phone lines.  Buy four more computers.  Buy five fresnal lenses about 3 feet across.  Start four extra accounts with Aces High.  Have HT and Pyro up the observer limit from one to four.  Build and mount each of the four monitors around your computer desk in a 3 foot box shape, one above, two to the sides, and one behind with the frensal lenses making the screens bigger.  Set the default viewpoint of the four new computers to their respective direction.  Log on all five computers, and join the other four to the front computer.

Hit the switch and get sick from vertigo.

Or have I just brought up the "multiple monitor support" idea that others keep asking about?

Hanz.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 05-03-2000).]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
I just wanna nice new VFX-3D...

Least with that ya get depth perception to!

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2000, 06:55:00 PM »
 My GOD Hans-Your mental capacity for problem solving is astounding!Truely-no sarcasm meant here!
 Or did you find that dime bag I lost in '79!??  

By-Tor   'SCREAM'IN PTERODACTYLS'

Hans

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2000, 03:41:00 AM »
Let me guess.  By-tor...your one of the people who've asked if there will be multiple monitor support?

Hanz, being sarcastic (again).

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2000, 06:34:00 AM »
Why not buy this computer?

An 880Mhz PÍII with mounted halfspherical high resolution TFT Screen, gives you an extended workspace for office applications, and stunning graphics for 3D-gaming. Integrated 5 point surround sound speakers in screen. Notice that when screen is turned off you can look right through it to avoid claustrophobia.

I hope that HTC will will support this exiting hardware soon very soon. If you are interesting in reading more about this baby, just click here.
------------------
GrinBird

[This message has been edited by GrinBird (edited 05-04-2000).]