Author Topic: AMD Radeon  (Read 800 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
AMD Radeon
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »
Allegedly, the boss of the AMD Radeon team has defected to Intel. How long has this trend been going on? Doesn't sound good for AMD.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: AMD Radeon
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
Wow, thats some tech news!  :old:

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
By Sean Allen  | Nov 8, 2017   12:53 pm EST
Intel to join Advanced Micro Devices to make a powerful chip
Chipmakers Intel (INTC) and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) have joined hands to make a new chip that will combine Intel’s processor with AMD’s Radeon GPU (graphics processing unit). The move is aimed at battling common rival Nvidia (NVDA).

The chip is expected to be very powerful with great processing speed. It’s expected to run high-end video games on thin laptops, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The move is an example of the complex ever-changing dynamics of the chip industry.

The chip could help Intel resolve its portable obstacle by making powerful chips without using bulky laptops that are typically used for gaming.

Looks like a good thing to me stock prices for AMD are expected to rise again
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:25:57 PM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:44:15 AM »
Aside from what appears to be a partnership and form factor reduction, I think this is better for Intel than it might be for AMD. Specifically, Intel can work out the details and adjust to the AMD method, as well as any other discreet graphics manufacturer. The momentary upshot for AMD is that they get the prestige of working with Intel and elevating their own performance in yet another area of notebook sales. The downside is that it highlights AMDs lackluster performance in AI computing, which is not the center of the story, but is the heart of their (and Intel's) problem with rival NVidia.

Personally, I'm expecting Intel to approach AMD in the future with a merger offer.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
All of Intel's built-in hardware video support technology has been licensed from AMD/ATI since Intel started incorporating video support into the CPU.

It seems to be a natural migration.  Intel has been lambasted for years over the video support they have been providing.  Most of the problems stem from their own over-marketing the product (i.e. making claims they are great gaming solutions and so on...).

Some speculation.  AMD may end up selling off its video card division mostly due to their inability to produce a product to compete with NVidia.  Could also be due to how hard it is to make any money in that business given how short design turn arounds have gotten.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:34:08 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com