Author Topic: On a 64x64 AVA terrain, what are...  (Read 677 times)

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
On a 64x64 AVA terrain, what are...
« on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
What are the constraints on a 64 x 64 AVA terrain, as far as the following goes:

1. Max number of objects

2. Are custom objects allowed

3. Manned guns and auto guns placed in the terrain

I played in the tank night terrain last night with Jeager and Easycore and the guys, and it was a blast.  Then I woke up in the middle of the night last night with this vision of an AVA terrain centered on the Ludendorff Bridge in Remagen.  I know I could build it, but I want to know what candy I can put into it.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: On a 64x64 AVA terrain, what are...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
What are the constraints on a 64 x 64 AVA terrain, as far as the following goes:

1. Max number of objects -- 50,000

2. Are custom objects allowed -- Yes

3. Manned guns and auto guns placed in the terrain -- Yes, but save time and check with us first. We usually dial back all ground guns.

I played in the tank night terrain last night with Jeager and Easycore and the guys, and it was a blast.  Then I woke up in the middle of the night last night with this vision of an AVA terrain centered on the Ludendorff Bridge in Remagen.  I know I could build it, but I want to know what candy I can put into it.  Glad you had fun

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
Is that 50,000 for only a 64x64 or is that max for all arena sizes?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:38 AM »
Is that 50,000 for only a 64x64 or is that max for all arena sizes?

I heard 40,000 for the main arenas.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »
As Easyscor said you should shoot for no more that 50K of objects.

The size of the terrain doesn't really affect this outside of letting you place more fields than the smaller terrains. For example:

- Germany 52921 objects (170 bases, plus multiple strats, cities, and tank towns)
- Blksea 45972 objects (172 bases, plus multiple strats, cities, and tank towns)

You can go a bit over the 50K limit and it will allow you to upload but will give you a warning that you have an excessive amount of objects. 60K objects will crash the server though. So it really is best if you try to keep things around or below 50K.

But for 64x64 terrain you shouldn't have to worry about coming close to that many objects. The 512x512 historical terrains come close because the amount of bases and strats we have for historical events in the SEA.

X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
What officially counts as an object.  Is one base shape = one object, one town shape = another object, then a hanger is another one, ord bunker another one, auto ack another one, etc?  One town building = another one?  How about the buildings out in the terrain textures, do they count as objects?

I never thought about it before, but now that I'm doing terrains, this is important info to know.  A budget of 50k objects can get eaten up quick with a main arena terrain.

Is there a way in the Terrain Editor to get a current count of objects?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:50:51 AM by 8thJinx »

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
No one base is not an object. All the items that make up a base are the objects so the fighters hangars, bomber hangers, vehicle hangar(s), mannabe AA guns, auto AA guns, fuel, etc.  Basically anything that can be destroyed is an object along with a few other things that can't be (like the maproom).

Basically go open up the TE, goto the object tab, click show all shapes and anything listed in there would count as an object. So if  you are placing berms manually each berm is 1 object. If you build a tile that has 10 berms in it then there would be 10 objects. So, one way we reduce things down is not to have to many strats since things like the 4x4 city strat has a ton of buildings with each building counting as an object.
CM Terrain Team

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
Is each tree, bush and plant on the ground included in the object count?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
I think - and I could be wrong - that the trees, bushes, and buildings that get generated from the terrain tile sets, while objects, are not counted.  Support for this assertion: terrains are 256x256 miles (10 x 10 grid), or 65,536 square miles.  If only 50,000 objects are allowed, and that included the trees and buildings from the tile sets, then less than 1 object per square mile would be allowed. 

Also, towns and bases have hundreds of objects, and the towns and bases themselves are objects.  If each town/base has 250 objects (hangars, guns, bunkers, buildings, etc), and your average map has 140-ish bases and strats, that's 35,000 objects right there.

The exception is trees and other shapes that you drop manually into the terrain from the TE.  Those are objects, and they get counted in the budget.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:36:02 PM by 8thJinx »

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
Correct trees and bushes are generated from the ground tile and not counted. Unless if you go into the TE and place trees and bushes manually. I haven't done that but I think any item that you place manually would count. Which is why I think placing berms manually would count. To test that theory go to your terrain and run the object report. Then go an place a berm and re-run the object report and see if the number of objects increased.

Correct on the bases and towns and that is why SEA terrains like Germany, Norway, Blksea basically hit the 50,000 object limit since they have so many bases, etc.
CM Terrain Team