Author Topic: Gaming Laptops...  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gaming Laptops...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »
Vraciu, I suppose all the hotels you visit have a TV which you should be able to hook into any laptop as a bigger screen. I know that some cheaper hotels still have old fat crt tv's, but even those often have a VGA input. All the flat ones I've seen have at least one of the common ones, VGA, DVI or HDMI so all you'd need is a couple of wires and adapters to get a bigger image.

Great idea.  I didn’t figure a tv screen would have the refresh rate needed to run AH3 smoothly.   Then again, I kill zombies with my daughter on them all the time so...   *facepalm*
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
Asus has an option for buying a "clean" version of their computers, with just Windows and drivers. I don't know if it's available for all models, though.

Funny you guys mention that as the laptop I have is an ASUS. 

I will look.  Any recommendati No on RAM?   More is better always but....

And folks mentioning the 1060....is this a laptop version of the desktop card?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
Order a good spec machine and an OEM version of Windows and save yourself some time and the headache of dealing with bloatware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »
If I've understood correctly, the mobile 10## video cards are very close to their desktop counterparts thanks to the low power consumption. For AH, 1050 would suffice at least with some eye candy reduced and 1050Ti would be enough if your budget is tight.

As for RAM, 8 GB is a very good amount. 4 works, but it might struggle with games. 16 would be overkill unless you plan on doing some videos and such. The speed of RAM doesn't play a significant role.

As a side note, using a TV for online gaming may have some issues. The worst is called input lag, meaning that it can take a considerable amount of time for the signal from the video card to be shown on screen. Or, in layman's terms, what you see on the screen is not what your computer is currently doing. Continuous, yes, but a little bit late. That is mostly because TV's have all kind of image improvement systems between the signal and the reproduction. They can often be eliminated, though, but learning the settings for every model you meet at the hotels can take some time! A dedicated PC mode often is enough. Another issue can be choosing the right input for a 60 FPS output, as someone just noticed in another thread. Luckily the manuals and layout schemes can be quite easily found in the Internet.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
Vraciu, one of the first things i did was to uninstall all the unnecessary programs on my laptop. Good luck getting rid of cortana without playing with your registry. Do i ever use cortana? No. Is it the most resource intensive program running in the background? Yes. Thanks, microsoft :)

"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
Thanks everyone.   I will start looking online and see what I can nail down. 

Any good retailers?

We have a Fry’s Here in DFW.   They used to amazing for deals. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »
17" is one of the larger screens Vraciu, you see a few 18 and very, very few specialty larger ones, but typically the 17.3" is the "big" ones.  15.6 looks plenty big enough up close to it, and you'll find it fits in a lot more bags/cases, and when on a plane it fits on the fold down table a lot better - just my experience.

Asus = the best ones IMO, but it's close, I've been happy with last year's laptop we bought, an MSI with a 1070 in it.  Considering what games it was used for, a 1060 would have been enough probably, but having more doesn't hurt I guess.

Screen wise, try and get one with a 120hz and an IPS screen.  iF $ is no matter, Gsync, 4k, 120hz capable systems are out there.

Shame you didn't post this a month ago, EVGA ran an Xmas special, almost bought one myself, great deal, it was only $1300 plus shipping for a 1070/SSD/15.6" 4k Gsync, 256 m.2 etc etc laptop, nearly $1400 off it was.  I couldn't believe it, but it was legit, and by far the best deal I've seen on a gaming laptop.  It's last year's model, with a 6820 CPU, but everything else is very current tech, probably why they blew them out I guess.  https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=768-41-2633-T1

Makes me wonder how much mark up there is on gaming laptops with such a deep cut for a holiday sale..

Anyhow, last couple things, IMO managing expectations with their performance is important, a 1060 in a laptop does not = a 1060 desktop, it could be argued in fact that you should expect the next step down in "number" in terms of fps performance.  IE a 1070 latptop will run pretty close to your 1060 on a tuned in desktop. Just my experience with a bunch of different games. This is very general of course, there are many exceptions of course, but overall it's not an inaccurate comparison IMO.

Lastly, although I came to dislike most of their stuff, Razer makes a great little gaming laptop depending on what exactly you're after.  Their Blade series are fantastic if you want/need something small - ie if you fly a lot (you're a pilot IIRC, right), and size is a big issue for fitting it in your carry on stuff, they are hard to beat.  MSI has their new "Stealth" line coming, which are a lot lighter and thinner than the rest of their gaming line, but they are still 15.6", so the dimensions in that area aren't any smaller, unlike the Razer Blade models. 

Last thing - battery life.  If you need to be "plug free", don't expect much with the Asus, MSI, etc.  I can't speak to the Evgas but they'll be similar I'm sure.  The Razer Blades have really decent life from all I've read, but again, smaller screen, less performance/power reqs/etc.  Just don't expect to play games for 10 hours, or even more than 3, without plugging in if you get even a mid grade gaming laptop in terms of capability - they eat power fast.

Avoiding gimmicks - tough to do, every manufacturer is all aboard the RGB train, so expect that crap on virtually all of them.  Just disable what you don't like, as everyone has said already, as it'll be tough to get a decent true gaming unit without at least some of that BS installed/equipped on it.

If you can, find a PC gaming shop that carries a variety of models - if you ever fly into Calgary check out Memory Express, I've been going there since the 90s, and they'll have all the above on display at one of their 3 stores.  It's the best way to size them up.  Even Staples often has a bunch of the Asus and MSI units out on display - I downloaded AH3 once on to a 1050ti equipped Asus in a shop there to see how it ran offline (I was impressed and so was the sales kid who had nothing better to do).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:54:14 PM by Gman »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:58 AM »
Hahahha good stuff.   Very informative.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.  Yeah, I’m a pilot and sometimes I have to pack for a week, so my laptop lives in its own bag.  But every bit of weight and space saved helps, no doubt.  Still, my eyes are beginning to demand something bigger as I enter the dreaded middle-40s.   Ugh. 

Thanks again for the write up.  Excellent.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 02:23:44 AM »
40 is the new 30 :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 08:33:55 PM »
I'm 44 and my eyes are starting to degrade as well - best advice is to try some in person, seriously, most PC stores/chains are carrying gaming laptops now.  Only way you'll be able to tell if the size and screen looks the way you want them to.  Do what I did as well, ask the sales guy when it's slow to let you download/install AH3, or bring the install on a thumb drive, then you can compare how that performs to what you're expecting.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
I'm 44 and my eyes are starting to degrade as well - best advice is to try some in person, seriously, most PC stores/chains are carrying gaming laptops now.  Only way you'll be able to tell if the size and screen looks the way you want them to.  Do what I did as well, ask the sales guy when it's slow to let you download/install AH3, or bring the install on a thumb drive, then you can compare how that performs to what you're expecting.

I think that's great advice. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »
Consider purchasing a laptop without a CD drive; you'll gain better cooling. I do my backup on a pen drive.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
Consider purchasing a laptop without a CD drive; you'll gain better cooling. I do my backup on a pen drive.

Ah.  Never thought of that either. 

I’m assuming I can always get an external one if need be.

My current laptop has seemed to lose its cooling ability over time.   Always figured it was dust or dirt but that isn’t it.  Maybe I just notice it more now.
”KILLER V”
The Damned