Author Topic: Tree mesh - Copies or Instances?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Tree mesh - Copies or Instances?
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
Was wondering if the tree meshes are standalone object (each tree is its own entity) or are they simply an instance of  one or a few different tree meshes.

The biggest hit I get  at the moment during map making is from the trees during testing.

Any information on this would be great!

<S>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tree mesh - Copies or Instances?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »
Was wondering if the tree meshes are standalone object (each tree is its own entity) or are they simply an instance of  one or a few different tree meshes.
The biggest hit I get  at the moment during map making is from the trees during testing.
Any information on this would be great!
<S>

This is what drove me to investing in a 1070 card but there is a button to turn off the trees, and another to turn off the ground clutter in the TE. Look in the lower left corner of the editor.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »
With a TitanX I have to be careful with what I create

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
You shouldn't be having any problem with frame rates in the TE!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »
I Should have been specific, I monitor my frames when I build the map and test it in “offline” mode.

I’ve ran in to this before when creating other games and building 3D assets. It’s easy to create products that run great on my Dev rig and have them choke out other rigs.

For me, knowing how multiple objects are handled within the engine lets me be more realistic with object quantities within the environment.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
I use an older motherboard with an I5 and 16G RAM and a GTX760 running Win7 64bit. AHedit.exe uses about 30% of the cpu time and turning on the trees does not create an FPS hit. I've found if I walk away for 3-4 hours leaving the TE running, when I get back and move the mouse it sometimes closes with a windows error and a dump file in the aces high temp folder. At 8 hours once, it closed itself with a dump. Previously I ran it on an even older motherboard with a Core Duo and 8G RAM and a Radeon 6770 with Win7 64bit and it performed the same way with the same problems. But never an FPS hit.

During the two years of the alpha\beta testing all the versions of it never caused an FPS hit on any of the PC's I tested the TE with. But, they were all older machines and I was more concerned with testing that for players who couldn't afford to upgrade.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
I haven't experienced the "Shutdown" bit yet. To be honest, I don't get to spend nearly enough time creating maps with all of the other responsibilities that I have.

A quick question that may help me out a bit, in Your opinion (bustr) what settings do you set in offline (graphic quality) to help gauge the common ground between low, med and high end spec machines?

This is one aspect I am trying to nail down because I don't want to waste my time and create something that is over taxing to a majority of players machines. I may just create a few maps and design a bunch of missions for them and offer them up to the community. I need to do more research on the needs and wants of MA terrain construction before I attempt an MA terrain.

At the end of the day, knowing how the engine renders duplicate objects and how if any LOD stages are implemented for more poly heavy objects when outside a specific distance from the player will guide my hand in design.

Thanks for you help man

<S>

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
I leave everything at the defaults becasue that is what Hitech came up with as the best compromise for the broadest number of PC configurations. I spent two years testing all the possible settings for him and unless I'm going to spend a lot of time in a tank, I leave it at the defaults. With tanks everything to the max will get you the ability to use german optics to three miles. Maybe four. It certainly will help you resolve tanks from trees and leaves better inside of three miles.

I looked at the specs for the TitanX in the 1000series family. That monster shouldn't have a single bilp with anything you run for this game. You are way beyond the bandwidth, shaders, and data path issues that would matter. Yet, that is one of the reasons players have FPS issues becasue they are not aware that a 192bit bus can have FPS issues where a 256bit bus like my GTX760 won't. Depending on the texture level they are running and how far past the defaults they have pushed the sliders. During the alpha\beta I kept track of graphics card issues posted by other testers to come up with some kind of a base line common standard. I also tested with a GX9800, HD6770 and GTX760. As BW, Shaders and Data path went up, the graphics issues went down. Your TitanX is the Titan of the gaming world so I'm clueless at this point.

Have you talked to Skuzzy about this one, I seem to remember a few players with 980 and 1080 had FPS issues when those cards have the grunt to blow the game away?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
It only takes a slight hit when I have over saturated an area with trees and ran at full detail.

I use my machine for 3D asset creation, texture painting, arch vis rendering and every once in a while animations. I don’t have an issue on that front.

I have to comb over my settings, there has to be a mismatch somewhere that I am just missing.

<S>

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
When starting the editor, closing it, and then running the game I'm seeing some some small negative impact on the frame rate. As if something isn't left in a clean state. Rebooting gets things back to normal.
(Card is a 1080Ti, but that poor thing has to process Fov 148 degrees and fill 6000x1200.)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
Ciapas?

Trees are an instance of a few different meshes, each tile set has a different set of meshes. Some trees are actually a multiple trees in one mesh.

Are you testing terrain or creating a new tile? If a tile, it is very easy to bring things to a halt with to many trees.

HiTech