Author Topic: Dashcam footage released Uber Volvo XC accident in AZ  (Read 7560 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
Re: Dashcam footage released Uber Volvo XC accident in AZ
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
That road is not that dark and is pretty well lit.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
GM and Waymo are testing them in San Francisco and other California locations.  There are lots of pedestrians there.  Pedestrians don't seem to be an issue for them, just Uber.  With proper programming the autonomous cars should be much safer than a human driver as they don't get distracted and lidar/IR sensors work regardless of illumination.

I doubt we are decades away.  We may not even be 5 years away.  It just won't be Uber's system that triumphs.

I'll bet you my pile of dirt vs. yours. Don't forget this maybe the first tests of AI vs. the public pr machine just to see how we react to "mistakes" which really means deaths...wait it is.  OOOps you killed somebody..lets figure out whats wrong with you.....but many people are jailed with no hope of figuring out whats wrong with them....I guess machines are easier to train and the programmers have no death and/or dismemberment issues with the law.  Somebody died and somebody needs to be held liable for an ability (they programmed it) to drive a vehicle that they were not actually driving.  So in short they said " We got this"...and then.... :devil"My Bad! Sorry fat guy texting! You're Screwed for the rest of your life too!"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:46:49 PM by ToeTag »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2018, 10:02:07 AM »

Did she walk that bike right out of the grassy knoll on the left?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »
Apparently Uber changed Volvo's autonomous software.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-26/uber-disabled-volvo-suv-s-standard-safety-system-before-fatality

You watch the dash cam from this article of the moment the driver first looked up, the expression on his face is a good indicator if he was acting as the driver and not a distracted passenger he would have seen the woman. Each of you can identify with his look by remembering how much trouble mentally it is for you to ride in the passenger seat while another person drives. It does not turn off your automated muscle memory reactions from years behind the wheel paying attention as a driver. The film clips of the area after the accident shows the area well lit enough that a "driver" would have seen the woman.

A whole lot of people have egg on their face and how this is being reported to the news outlets is to CYA first. As they show more film, as experienced drivers it looks like a situation a person driving that car would not have hit the woman as the available light at the accident scene is more accurately shown post accident. There is enough ambient lighting that her "pink" bicycle frame would have caught a driver's eye along with the reflective spots on her shoes that showed up brightly in the very first dash cam video. I wondered if the dash cam video chip was not showing the full extent of the surround light. Ever noticed your smartphone chip does not see as much nighttime ambient light and resolve objects in shadow as your eyes? But a $15,000 news camera will becasue that is what $15,000 is paying for.

Wonder if NTSB will require the state police to rerun this with a person at the wheel to determine how much a person would really have seen versus that crappy dash cam video? All they will need is a person with a dark T-shirt and jeans to hold that bike frame at the victim's left hand starting spot while an officer and an observer drives past at the same speed after dark. Bet no one wants that test to happen.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
That safety driver looks asleep to me.....

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
Some more autonomous driving for you:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Something something eggs something omelette.

Sad thing is they're likely already statistically better than humans.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11