Author Topic: TE Map overlay  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
TE Map overlay
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:33:09 AM »
In the TE there are now a couple of options that allow for either an alternative ocean image or an overlay image to be imported and incorporated into the clipboard map. The ocean image is simple enough, just point the TE to the file you want to use. However there must be some way of telling the TE which areas of the overlay image to use and which to ignore. In skinning AH does this with a separate alpha map image or in the past by ignoring a specific colour in the image like bright pink. Another method might be to employ the alpha channel of a 32-bit image. I haven't found a forum post mentioning this and the TE's help file is no help, so how do you create an overlay image for the TE map making utility?

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: TE Map overlay
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »
I never liked the light blue ocean from the CBM generator.  I use a darker ocean background instead.  Question: what are you trying to alpha out?  Maybe I'm missing something.  If we can import different ocean backgrounds, and the TE does the rest with the land masses and grid, what are you suggesting that an alpha map could do.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:30:13 PM »

The Water texture is an index 256 indexed color bitmap.
I used this particular one in the original AH2 avasml.
Anything from zero elevation and below is water so it won't pick up the new river paths.
I have not had the need to experiment with the overlay texture.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:45:25 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
I am not intending to use the water overlay since keeping a plain blue ocean will let the map compress to a smaller size in the res file. What I want to do is paint the strat rivers and bridges from my map onto the clipboard map. Also to make a banner with the terrain name. I figured using the overlay might let me insert the rivers and bridges above the terrain but below the grid.

Having played with the TE map making utility a bit today I now think I can do what I want without the overlay. The TE now lets me individually output the map grid, field icons, SPs etc without the map itself. So I can export all these to PSP as separate layers and make up my CBM there.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »
If I recall correctly, once you bake the CBM, you can alter the file with whatever you want, and it will show up in-game.  Just keep the name and size the same.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how I miss-read your OP.
Next time one of us talks to HTC, we can ask and post here.

NM, got it.

Diffuse: 256 indexed color bitmap, I named Overlay.bmp
Alpha: grayscale bitmap, Overlay_a.bmp. White is the mask & black/gray shows the map.

All black would show the TE's Make Map while white areas will allow the overlay's diffuse areas to show through instead.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:28:55 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
So Hitech is not going to have the CBM map generating function pickup the river object like it does the field objects? I can see his possible issue since 8pixel is a mile, and with very narrow rivers as are most of mine, aside from the river mouth average 50ft. That is why I filled the river bottoms in my river valley's with green since you see the same thing in africa with streams and rivers as they meander the river bottom they cut.

I doubt a body of the community really wants to see my name on my terrains staring back at them so I've been happy with Waffle's discretion. They seem to like playing on those terrains which is the real goal.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 10:39:12 PM »
I doubt a body of the community really wants to see my name on my terrains staring back at them so I've been happy with Waffle's discretion. They seem to like playing on those terrains which is the real goal.

So long as it doesn't come with walls and walls of patronizing text I don't think anyone will care.

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 01:47:46 AM »
Thanks Easyscor, that's just what I needed.

HT noted my request to have roads, rail and rivers incorporated into the map making utility but I don't know if or when he will be able to do that. He's just done some work on the TE so I figure if it was an easy change he'd have done it then.

I want to upload my terrain to the server for testing soon and I think the way I have set it up players will need to see the rivers and bridges on the CBM or they will get frustrated by not being able to find a way to cross the rivers. So I have figured a convoluted way of marking the rivers fairly accurately on the map. I have made a copy of my terrain, changed it to the ETO tile set, painted it entirely in snow texture and then using the narrowest brush I have traced every river from end to end in forest texture. At 2048 res this creates a white map with 1 pixel wide dark green lines where the rivers are and I can use these lines as a guide to create a river layer for my CBM. The bridge positions I have marked with a dot of green either side of the river and I'll make a bridge layer with icons for these.

I think my handle on the CBM is a reasonable reward for the hours put into making the map. There will be players who like the map and players who don't and from past experience the ones who don't will be fifty times more vocal about it than those that do, but that's just human nature.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 05:20:45 AM »
Glad to help, Greebo, and I for one appreciate your work!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
Thanks Easyscor.

I have uploaded the latest version of my terrain to the server if anyone wants to take a look. It is currently called Bearpit and can be accessed online through the "Bearpit Test" arena. Bridges and rivers are marked on the CBM now.

It worked OK for me for an hour or so of testing but kept CTD'ing once I exited the arena and tried to re-enter it. If it does the same for anyone else a dump file to this thread will help. I'll wait until the terrain is more stable before making a BBS post with screenshots etc advertising it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 10:06:43 AM »
Looking good as a work in progress. It took me awhile to recognize the bridges on the CBM but once I knew how they were marked, I knew what to look for.

I didn't try to fly it, but switched between all three countries and did short tours in CMEye mode.

I have no idea what could causing the crash, and mine was slightly different.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
So long as it doesn't come with walls and walls of patronizing text I don't think anyone will care.

It didn't start out that way until the community started telling me what I was and was not supposed to do. Then some tried to take over my projects becasue I was supposed to treat their opinions as superior to my abilities and drop everything I was doing to cater to them. Including trying to have Hitech force me to make changes to my work. No one privately asked me if I was interested, showing them work in progress turned into them using it as an open door to dropping their opinion on me and expecting compliance. Including telling me to call them and they would tell me what I needed to know. Remember, remote hands and my project then not being mine. And in the last 18 years who has ever shown the community how a terrain is created screen shot after screen shot. They ain't that complicated once you see how easy it is. 

AH3 needed a new generation of terrains, you gents other than Greebo don't seem to want to help Hitech out with all of your eons of skillz and build him some Melee arena terrains to help WoW new potential customers. Most of our converted AH2 era terrains suck compared to the competition's. What have I been doing for the last two years and now my third terrain? Them succors is Hugh, time consuming, and burn you out constantly creating them. But, AH3 needed some new ones. You know, this game that lost almost 2\3 of it's customer base before the AH3 transition. It was day and night obvious during the two years of the alpha\beta the game needed a new generation of terrain.

Condescending, Easyscor you have been condescending me since the first time you were aware I was building anything terrain. Or was that just, I had to pay my dues to get accepted to some super secret club? This is a game and terrains are not near "that" complicated.

I still need to eventually look at Artik's program to simplify the gross creation of landmass. Pop out three or four geo map terrains, then cut and combine parts from the hightmaps. A little finger painting in the terrain editor, and at least three months cut off the production time of a 10x10. You get a real feel for terrain by your third terrain experience. A heightmap is a heightmap any way you cut it.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »
thanks to all the help you've given me, easyscor. I'm sure most appreciate your help. If it wasn't for you, I couldn't have built all the AVA terrains I've made and some that I've converted. its great to see you helping out others in need, when they ask for it. I guess if more people did that, people building terrains would be more plentiful. I only wish I knew as much about building terrains as you do!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »
Thanks.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001