Author Topic: Have you ever had to dumb down how you talk/explain things  (Read 1545 times)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Have you ever had to dumb down how you talk/explain things
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »
As an old retired chef, I have had to dumb down instructions all the time . It's not due to me being smarter or the other guy being dumb, it's just the nature of the job.
 Tc,
 Telling your daughter to simplify things is part of life itself . 
Do not fret the small stuff!!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
Telling your daughter to simplify things is part of life itself . 

No one is as smart as a fresh graduate, they're the wisest of all mankind. They know everything, their opinions are based on absolute truth...  :lol
Then they grow dumber just as we have done.  :old:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 08:46:42 PM »

Sometimes you have to slaughter the english language for the sake of clarity.

That said, romance based languages work better than others and certainly work best with science since most science was written by romance langauage writers.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
Sometimes you have to slaughter the english language for the sake of clarity.

That said, romance based languages work better than others and certainly work best with science since most science was written by romance langauage writers.

I can totally relate to the your synopsis, even though I can still slaughter the English language especially when I talk in my native/local dialect, heh

Bizman: I dealt with my fast talking Mellenial talk daughters early on, just about have broke both of them off that...but I do understand where you're coming from, lol

Fess67: I owe you an apology for snapping back at you in such a rude manner...

Icepac: your first post had me rolling, haha

Appreciate all of the replies

Thanks

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
hmmm... as a smart person (only useless Jeopardy facts)  :cool:, I disagree TC... Don't tell her to "dumb it down" for others, that's how we drag ourselves down.

She may just need to elaborate more for those filthy dum-dums to understand.  :devil

Seriously though, she may need to work harder to gain common ground, but being smarter shouldn't be a stigma for her. It should empower her.  Let her know that her frustration is not HER fault, but she may need to be the "bigger person" and expend more energy to relate information to those around her.

:salute

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
They say that it is a very thin line between genius and crazy...and my daughter is right at that point

She is a heck of a lot more advanced than I could ever be, it makes it to where she is diagnosed with being antisocial, which I've had to argue with the doctors and prove them wrong diagnosis.... I stopped this after the first time they put her on  72 hour physc hold... A different doctor tried this 2 years ago for a second time but I fought it off...

Hmm...she is just on such a higher level of perspective and thinking that it makes it hard to communicate with others. They are not able to understand or relate to what she says or might be talking about at times...

Now she calls me every day after I do my morning studies and we talk for at least an hour or more, all at the same time she is talking with me she is multitasking doing 4 to 5 online surveys, depositing any where from 20/10/5 dollars every 3 to 5 minutes into her bank account while theorizing about some new science study with me on the phone... She has tried working out in the commercialized environment but it never seems to work because of "communication" or lack of..

Got to run, Dad needs me

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
The reason for posting such a question is because of my IQ and my youngest daughter's IQ and telling her that she needs to lower her talk to others so they can relate to where she is coming from....

I never ran into this problem myself after I turned 15 years old...a good few Blue moons ago...

But I do understand where she is at and it is crazy and scary all at the same time...all I can do is tell her how she needs to dumb down the way she talks to her Mom and Sister so that they can understand why and where she is coming from, then find a relating factor with it....

It is sure harder than one would think

TC

That just boils down to understanding your target audience.

Here is an example, I work on Crew Escape systems (EGRESS) for fighter, bomber and some training aircraft. I've been doing this for 20+ yrs. I'm a SME on systems by two manufacturers with a total of 5 variants between the two (ACES II - F-15, F-16, A-10, MB Mk 16, Mk16 ESUP - T-38 and T-6 Texan II). If I were to engage in to a conversation with someone who is not an Egress mechanic, I would allow them to direct the conversation so they are getting the information that they want, notice I didn't say need. If I am talking to an EGRESS Apprentice, I will approach it much the same way as the "casual" but it's easy to forget that the apprentice does not have the knowledge that I, after so many years of working, would think to be common knowledge. This tends to lead to a very confusing conversation as the apprentice NEEDS the information but does not have enough system experience to tie the information together to paint a massive picture of an egress with regards to the theory of operation, basic MX practice, advanced MX practice and the good ol experience of busting knuckles to learn what can't be taught from a book or OJT course. Situations like this tend to be blockish in the sense that day 1 topics have to be discussed for the individual can take part in conversations geared towards, what I think to be basic, but really advanced topics concerning the Egress system.

Make sense?
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 03:39:36 PM »
I knew exactly what you meant TC. ENCOURAGE her to keep LEARNING. Figure it may be like a situation I dealt with...Not gonna go into details about it..but folk with HIGH Functioning Reading and Comprehension skills and just being able to pick up on things quicker than most stand out in crowds. ANTI SOCIAL, been there...its NOT HER FAULT folk cant keep up...just dont let Dr.s and Peers force her down to their level. Talk about feeling out of place...that WILL DO IT! Its frustrating...sure...dealing with people is like herding cats sometimes! The type of individual you are describing...were the folk I LOVED TO HIRE. Just dont let her look back with regrets...such as "I have forgotten more than most will ever learn". Teach/Lead her to a way to keep learning, achieving while towing those who want to be along for HER RIDE. Dont waste her time on dead weight..it will just hold you back. I see it as a good problem to have...but it NEEDS TO BE CONSTANTLY maintained...use it or lose it type deal :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
I am bipolar and sometimes I have problems understanding verbal instructions.  for example, different players have tried to teach me how to do a barrel roll.  for the life of me I still cant do one.

sometimes even dumbing down wont help.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
I am bipolar and sometimes I have problems understanding verbal instructions.  for example, different players have tried to teach me how to do a barrel roll.  for the life of me I still cant do one.

sometimes even dumbing down wont help.

semp

I don't remember if you ever asked me to help you or not.... but try the following

Barrel Roll: as you are flying along straight and level, pull back and left on the stick with left rudder input to barrel roll left......pull back and right on the stick with right rudder input to barrel roll right

Hope this helps

TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
As you gain more experience and knowledge in an area, you access that from your memory as holistic pictures and no longer discrete steps. Often while explaining something you don't realize at the very beginning as you started to speak, your brain showed you everything as one image. Because as you learned and mastered it, it became a whole versus the original related bits and pieces. While you are working with what you learned you no longer have to pull it up in memory by it's discrete steps. This is why grad students are better at teaching than their professor who is a master of the subject. His mastery came at the price of loosing the ability to relate to and separate the subject into discrete digestible steps anymore. You can be taught how to teach which requires breaking down the holistic image into discrete steps, while some do it naturally as a self realization and make great mentors.

In the real world if your daughter intends to work with other people versus alone, she will either catch on to this or constantly be confused about how she and others relate to one another. Having a quick mind and greater mental capacity than your peers when you are young manifests in some of your problems with your daughter. It's also a hallmark of youth to be oblivious to these things while running rough shod with youthful exuberance over those around her in an absolutely clueless manner. Brings to mind where that saying "the dumbest smart person in the room" comes from. High intelligence often goes hand in hand during youth with a lack of empathy for others which is the social lubrication to interpersonal friction.

If she perceives your intervention as telling her, her ability is a negative in social situations and that she is lacking in that area of communication. She may well not listen while blaming others for not being as accomplished as herself. It all depends on that empathy thing. After all, at that age, If you are smarter and brighter, why do you have to be saddled with other's short comings. If she does have empathy and cares about others and can take the criticism. Talking to her over time, you can help her see what is taking place. In the end as a parent, all you can do is talk and hope she finds personal value in your conversation. Some people who are incredibly bright choose to emotionally defend themselves from their peers by very brightly running rough shod over those they interact with as a self defense for not being understood or fitting in.

Try to find out how your daughter feels about her gift...... 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 07:07:35 PM »
Thanks bustr, she takes my critique'ing quite well

Would you mind me copying and sharing your post with her? You drove it home for what I was trying to find, bull's-eye

Ciaphas: makes sense to me, I actually relate to some of your field since I went through backseat qualification and also had to learn ejection seats and do preflight/post flight/daily and turnaround inspections on different jets, even arming/disarming them with the safety pins.....including checking the canopy

I much have always preferred to lead in my real life rather than follow.... I take it as that is just the way I am wired...

Thanks for the replys and thoughts

~S~

TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
If it helps then I'm paying back a debt I owe while paying forward to help another generation have happy and prosperous lives. We were all given the gift of being able to know ourselves and stop being casualties to our lack of self awareness.

You sounded concerned that you were going to miss doing all that you could and asked for a second set of eyes on your checklist...... :lol I'm betting I didn't tell you anything you didn't already know. With a father like you, your daughter is probably a good kid already.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 08:20:24 PM »
I appreciate that!

I don't call her a kid anymore, haven't for some time, she is the mother of my granddaughter and turns 26 on the 2nd of November...but she's my Kid! That's for sure

As for my oldest daughter, she's been through hell and back over the past 2 years..... Lost 2 births/pregnancys in 2016 just to have her jarhead husband telling her that he wants a divorce, then early 2017 tornadoe came so close that it knocked down a tree across her Mazda6 completely destroyed it...then hurricane Erma completely flooded and put her home under water....but she is rezealant and has recovered stronger than all of it....

Works for a nonprofit but is paid /on government payroll, finding homes for children that get lost in the system and she even goes out on her own time and buys these little ones clothes and such...

I've most likely already knew that, but trying to shuffle what I carry on my shoulders is becoming harder as my dementia issues keep progressing.....so the reason for this thread

Appreciate all the help

TC