Author Topic: Plane Size , Flight Model and Horizon Shading  (Read 1968 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Plane Size , Flight Model and Horizon Shading
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2000, 11:07:00 AM »
>2. There is "beyond con range (ID range?)
>but inside of "dot range". This is the area
>that you can tell that it's either a
>fighter or a bomber but not what type.

Lets see if I understand...

Well there is always going to be a range at which you see something, just a dot, just a glint of sun off a metal surface, and there will be no icon and you have no idea what it really is.  Unless you have eyes like Chuck Yeager you're not going to be identifying aircraft at 11.3 miles.

Then there is going to be the icon range at which you see "ahh thats a b17! He's pretty small he must be 8 miles out."  

If I understand, what you are suggesting is an additional level of icon that identifies the dot as "Fighter" or "Bomber" but not model or variant in between unknown dot and full icon info.  That sounds reasonable to me.  But again, we're stuck with having to use icons to reley information beyond the physical resolution of the display.  Unless you can think of any other means of releying that information.  The only other way I can think of would be and infinite zoom view where you could keep zooming and zooming until you could descern the amount of detail that you could in real life but the field of view would be so small that it would be impossible to get or keep the object centered.

Yeah its sorta depressing to con a high 109 when you were hoping for a fat juicy BUFF.(there I said it and I'm glad I said it  BUFF BUFF BUFF BUFF BUFF)

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Plane Size , Flight Model and Horizon Shading
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2000, 10:34:00 AM »
Yah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about.

...and zoom should show detail when you zoom an object that is in RL detail range. No point in zooming a dot into a bigger dot!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!