Author Topic: USS Texas  (Read 182 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
USS Texas
« on: September 02, 2022, 01:37:09 PM »
This is the only surviving battleship that served in both world wars - having fought in Europe during World War I and against the Nazis, and the Japanese Army during World War II - and it's now set to undergo a $35million refurbishment. 

But the greatest challenge in recent years for the USS Texas has been a leaky, rusty hull that at times forced workers to pump out about 2,000 gallons of water per minute from the 110-year-old ship.

To ensure the historic vessel - commonly known to Texas residents as the Battleship Texas - doesn't sink, the foundation in charge of its care successfully towed the ship on Wednesday from its longtime home along the Houston Ship Channel to a shipyard in Galveston for repairs.

Tony Gregory, president of the Battleship Texas Foundation, said the process of pulling the ship by tugboats and getting it on its way went perfectly. He said any problems would have happened in the first 15 minutes and there were no issues.

'It went smoother than we thought and quicker than we thought...and she's gone, down the channel,' he said Wednesday morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uss-texas-the-last-surviving-battleship-to-have-fought-in-both-world-wars-gets-2435m-repair-job/ar-AA11lsSG

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: USS Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 01:39:53 PM »
Glad this is finally happening. I remember when we visited it 5 or so years ago that they were raising funds for that.  :)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 01:40:51 PM »
Saw she was getting towed to drydock, hope the repairs she rightfully deserves go well.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »
I hope they make the gun turrets work, I want to see it sink something
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/