Author Topic: Why German helmets instead of allied helmets ?  (Read 224 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Why German helmets instead of allied helmets ?
« on: May 28, 2023, 06:35:44 PM »
That question comes up from people that don't collect. For me it goes back to Combat with Vic Morrow when I was a kid. They just look neat. That being said here is a M1 rear seamed swivel bale helmet. The original issue was a fixed bale front seamed helmet but there was problems. The seam in front (the lower edge) caught on vegetation and the chinstrap bail would crack from use. Originally the chinstrap was too short and couldn't be strapped at the rear of the helmet when it wasn't in use, it just hung.

Besides two helmet covers that came out, that is it. There is no more. What is interesting that a front seam fixed bale market price is more than a no decal M42 German helmet. Both around $800.

With German helmets there are unending samples. The majority vet bring backs. From 1935 to 1940 there is double decal M35's painted in a semi gloss green. In 1940 the M40 was produced with the directive of a single decal and a darker green with aluminum oxide mixed with the paint. In 1942 the M42 came out as a single decal. Later still, the decals were absent.

They found that the helmets were easily seen. So a directive came out to camo helmets using vehicle paints. Standard colors of tan, green and a dark red/brown. Those in Normandy had the time before D-Day to get it done. Paste mixed with gasoline.

This came out of the woodwork in France a couple of weeks ago. Originally the issue color it was painted entirely in tan with wood chips. Then a half basket was installed. Then it was painted with classic Normandy colors with the basket  still installed.  You can see the evidence of the basket in the paint.

A KILLER helmet.

I have no idea what it went for, but no doubt a lot.

This one is a helmet that I ended up second in line for a long time ago. It sold in 10 minutes. Jeez I wish I could have got this helmet

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Why German helmets instead of allied helmets ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 12:23:19 AM »
German helmets ( and a lot of their gear/tanks/planes, etc) do look a lot cooler than a lot of Allied or American stuff. Our helmets just look so generic and dumb. A dime a dozen, I'd guess.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: Why German helmets instead of allied helmets ?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 10:37:54 AM »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..