Author Topic: Books you are reading  (Read 378 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Books you are reading
« on: July 15, 2023, 02:00:16 AM »
Found this one in my local library, and it is proving to be a good read, and a good primer for Apple TV's upcoming "Masters of the Air".

The book is about John Luckadoo, a B-17 pilot with the 100th BG.   I knew they called the 100th the "Bloody Hundredth" but the scale of the losses on some of their missions is astounding.   On a mission to Bremen in October 1943, they lost 12 of 18 Flying Fortresses; two days later they were virtually wiped out over Muenster - only a single plane returned from the mission...

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: Books you are reading
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 04:02:01 AM »
Right now working with this:

Based on writers own experiences in gulags as "an enemy of the state".

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 10:08:16 AM »

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 01:41:13 PM »
I don't have time to read anymore so I've switched to Audible in the car.  I just finished Jordan Peterson's Twelve Rules for Life and I HIGHLY recommend it. Right now I'm listening to Tune In which is an incredibly detailed account of the Beatles BEFORE they became famous.  It's truly fascinating and I'm learning a lot about the Beatles that I didn't know.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 01:34:49 PM »

Revelation by Mark H. Walker

I don't usually read fiction, but this fellow is a favorite wargame designer (Flying Pig Games) and I thought I'd give this combination WW3 military, scifi, horror story a try. It's not bad once you get past the usual story of the Russians rolling into Germany through the Fulda Gap stuff. It doesn't take long for the underlying scifi horror weird war stuff to tickle the senses.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 01:51:12 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
From Manassas To Appomattox : Memoirs Of The Civil War In America - Gen James Longstreet

https://www.amazon.com/Manassas-Appomattox-Memoirs-America-Illustrated-ebook/dp/B06XGKY327/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Heh.  Longstreet's book made him one of the most hated men in the South.  Took a century for his reputation to be rehabilitated, mostly by Glenn Tucker and, later, Michael Shaara.

Does your version of the book have the picture of his wife at the front?

- oldman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 08:44:06 PM »

Heh.  Longstreet's book made him one of the most hated men in the South.  Took a century for his reputation to be rehabilitated, mostly by Glenn Tucker and, later, Michael Shaara.

Does your version of the book have the picture of his wife at the front?

- oldman

I haven't seen it.  I just got the kindle version.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 10:06:08 PM »
Found this one in my local library, and it is proving to be a good read, and a good primer for Apple TV's upcoming "Masters of the Air".

(Image removed from quote.)

The book is about John Luckadoo, a B-17 pilot with the 100th BG.   I knew they called the 100th the "Bloody Hundredth" but the scale of the losses on some of their missions is astounding.   On a mission to Bremen in October 1943, they lost 12 of 18 Flying Fortresses; two days later they were virtually wiped out over Muenster - only a single plane returned from the mission...

The last book I read was actually Masters of the Air.  It was a great read, and I actually learned a lot.  It was more or less a collection of stories and stats.  I was working on a Wyatt Earp biography, but it was getting rather boring. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 11:12:17 PM »
Lonesome Dove great tale of the Wild West
AkCaine

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 04:50:56 PM »
Just finished "JFK and the Unspeakable", by Douglass.  Awesome book.

Now listening (I use Audible a lot) to another book the Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy series.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 11:37:35 PM »
Just finished "Hue 1968" by Mark Bowden, author of Black Hawk Down

Altered my opinion of Westmoreland for the worst.  Those poor Marines were hung out to dry by him and their own general.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.