Author Topic: Any SubSim Junkies Here?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Any SubSim Junkies Here?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 04:52:05 PM »
Red Storm Rising was great fun back in the 80's. Cold Waters was expected to be its heir. Haven't tried it in a few years but initially at least it didn't live up to its promise, imo.

Forgot to mention RSR and Hunt For Red October. I played them a lot but was terrible lol. I never could finish anything in October.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 08:11:02 PM »
pfffttt... a submarine ain't nuthin but a samwhich

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 08:16:15 PM »
If I were inclined to destroy the US of A and had a few very quiet nukular armed subs I'd position them for emp saturation. Destroying the grid and most electronics will have more lasting effect than destroying a couple dozen cities.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 05:23:26 AM »
I have been debating downloading Uboat. It looks pretty involved. How do you like it Dolby?

I've amassed 188 hours since getting it on Steam and think it's great value for moneys.
It's got a number of options that allow for you to change the level of involvement around the amount you wish to be involved.
I highly recommend it, it looks good, plays good. There's 1st and 3rd person ways of playing, it can be a sim or a simcade on your preference. Being hunted after successfully hunting a convoy is an adrenaline rush, and can be immersive to the point that you'll be scurrying around your room turning off your lights, noisy fans and appliances to prevent the Royal Navy locating you.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2024, 08:29:48 AM »
Certainly looks cool. I will grab it next sale.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2024, 03:43:00 PM »
That does look cool..
I see where it is available on GOG for about 10 bucks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 03:50:48 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2024, 03:50:37 PM »
When I was a kid, the one on right ate a lot of my pocket money. In older age it was done by those depicted at left.

Wonder if same game rebranded.  This is what I played...to death.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2024, 04:47:23 PM »
Next AH update:

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2024, 02:39:27 AM »
Cold Waters with the dotmod mod is fantastic  Iron, so familiar to the Microprose Red Storm Rising back in the C64 days.

Silent Service on the C64 was great, and when SS2 came out on the Amiga, it made the ships have a solid model - first time I came up on a Japanese CV is something I still remember.

688i from Jane's was another great sub sim. Still has one of the best sonar models of any sub game IMO.

I went to buy Uboat based on your post Dolby, turns out I had bought it during one sale or another in the past, a pleasant surprise.  Giving it a whirl on Sunday.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2024, 02:42:59 AM »

Wonder if same game rebranded.  This is what I played...to death.

Not sure. The view from periscope is different.

Offline RTGorkle

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2024, 05:03:41 AM »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2024, 07:30:31 AM »
Cold Waters with the dotmod mod is fantastic  Iron, so familiar to the Microprose Red Storm Rising back in the C64 days.

Silent Service on the C64 was great, and when SS2 came out on the Amiga, it made the ships have a solid model - first time I came up on a Japanese CV is something I still remember.

688i from Jane's was another great sub sim. Still has one of the best sonar models of any sub game IMO.

I went to buy Uboat based on your post Dolby, turns out I had bought it during one sale or another in the past, a pleasant surprise.  Giving it a whirl on Sunday.

I'll give the dotmod mod a try Gman, thanks for the tip. I agree with you on the others too.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.