Author Topic: Latency/lag vs variance/warping  (Read 141 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Latency/lag vs variance/warping
« on: June 07, 2024, 06:58:12 AM »
Sigh, so many are still not understanding the difference between latency/lag (position/system update time from your pc to htc server) and variance/warping (lost packets, skipped display update.)   These films show latency in action, where the other guy gets hits when you're out of guns solution on your end (but he is not on his end.)  There's zero warping/variance occurring.

This guy connects from Australia or somewhere in the pacific, and I remarked how bad his latency was, with him shooting at empty space literally 1 second (a full trail bar) behind me and getting hits.  I connect at 30ms... this guy is easily 300ms+ (or even more considering how far behind he was shooting.)  It's very hard to deal with because it's just an outlier in connection speed that makes normal defensive maneuvering very difficult.

Most of the time, HTCs smoothing code does a good job of lessening this, but for some connects it simply cannot get it done. These are those times and what it looks like.

Beyond the players control, but to ignore the impact it has is disingenuous.

Once again for the ignorant, latency/lag is not variance/warping. 

Latency is more noticeable when you're fighting someone, not flying same side.  :rolleyes:

Connections do matter.  Along with the screenies, I posted 2 films of encounters.

What you shooting at, bruh?  And why are you getting hits?

This is where if this was normal, you'd already be firing.

Took your time there, bruh, quantum bullets tunneling thru the internet.

My ping to HTC server(s)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 09:44:16 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Latency/lag vs variance/warping
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 09:17:37 AM »
My experience has been the one with the better connection loses things like collisions and lag shots

Just part of an online game these days I guess

Funny how some think bandwidth is unlimited

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Latency/lag vs variance/warping
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 09:55:49 AM »
My experience has been the one with the better connection loses things like collisions and lag shots

Just part of an online game these days I guess

Funny how some think bandwidth is unlimited

Eagler

Collisions have nothing to do with connection. All collisions are detected on your computer.... if you collide on your screen with anything its a collision. If you DONT collide it is NOT a collision. It is as simple as that. Lag/Latency is why you can have one guy collide and the other get off scott free..... be cause one guy collided on his screen and the other guy didnt collide on his screen. Roll out of your HO run a bit earlier and avoid the collision and you wont collide. If you dont hit anything on your screen with your plane you will never get a "you have collided" message.