Author Topic: Sit down and color  (Read 712 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Sit down and color
« on: January 17, 2002, 10:30:53 AM »
Ok, this is bugging the crap out of me and its got to be said, and I'll try not to screw this up.  I've only been playing this game for about 9 months so I'm not going to set here and preach to y'all about whats right and whats wrong about AH, the MA or the CT.   I like the MA and the CT and I think they can exist together.   Alot of you guys (and gals) have way more time with this game than I do and I trust the CT Team to know whats been tried and what will work and how to put it all together.   I just want to point out a few things that seem to have been overlooked in a lot of the discussions we've had in this forum.

1.  Aces High and the current state of the MA did not happen overnight.   It took what, 3 years for AH to get to this point?  Hell look how much the MA has changed in the last 8 months.   Its not the same.  That didnt happen in two weeks, or even a couple of months.  It takes time to develop something from nothing.   I know the CT was actually created a few months back but until now, noone has really put much effort to really do something with it.   You have to give it time, give the CT team time.  There is going to be a lot trial and error.   And we are a critical lot so its never going to be "perfect", but theres got to be some compromise.

2.  The name of the arena means absolutely nothing at all,  I can call the CT "The DogHouse" (i spend alot of time there since I started playing AH   :rolleyes: )  Content is what matters and only content.  Finding the perfect name for the CT is not going to attract new people to the arena, period.  

3.  IMO, the way I understood it the CT was created so we (as in those that desire it) could have historical matchups of WW2 aircraft.    We have that right now, its just we found out we wanted a little more than that, like strat and objectives.   So, if you like the CT setup but you are so uncompromising that you only like to fly the P51 and wont fly anything else (just an example I'm not picking on anyone) then when that plane set is active you can fly it, or you can fly in the MA.    
          If you like the MA style and want to shoot down B17's with your P38 go for it.  But please stop coming to this forum and jerking everybody's chain.   This is the Combat Theater forum, not the "MA is better" forum.   In other words "stop letting your dog toejam in my yard".  Constructive critisim, suggestions, and ideas are whats needed, not name calling and finger pointing.  That kind of crap will definitly kill the CT.

So thanks to the CT team and all the hard work they've done and all the hard work thats ahead.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.   A photograph and autograph session will be held later at the reception.

AirScrew
« Last Edit: January 17, 2002, 10:37:15 AM by Airscrew »

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Sit down and color
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 02:24:45 PM »
I think you pretty much summed up alot of the feelings about the CT and this forum. Good Job AirScrew=MajTom!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Sit down and color
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 03:03:40 PM »
"Finding the perfect name for the CT is not going to attract new people to the arena, period. "

Not by itself no. You're quite right. But if the name changed when the terrain and setup did then that alone by itself would help catch the eyes of players when they were logging in. They would know instantly that a new setup was in there. This is important IMO as it's been said by folks "who are in the know"  that 10 to 15% of the players in any online game do not read or even participate in the games newsgroups.  And it is also a good way to help new players who are in the process of leanring what AH has to offer. You, I and the rest of the folks who've participated in posting within this forumn definately know what the CT is  but what about the 85-90% of the people who probably do not?

IMO if the CT  keeps a static name like "Combat Theatre" then I believe it would look to many folks to be a never changing setup. They may pass it by assuming it's had the same setup or terrain as it had when they may have peeked in last, be that six months, six weeks or six days before, and one they may not have been interested in due to  (fill in: early, mid or late war planes or pac/euro/med/baltic theatre).  

"CT" just does not reflect the changing nature of the setup or terrain within and definately nothing about the potentially exciting action going on in there. The Main Arena never changes with the exception of the map being used, so "MA" suits that arena fine.

I personally think "Cauldron of Fire" would make a hell of a better marquee listing than "Combat Theatre."   :)

Westy
« Last Edit: January 17, 2002, 03:57:05 PM by K West »

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Sit down and color
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2002, 03:48:37 PM »
Hot dang, but you guys may be on to something!  I'll ask Pyro about the idea of an arena name change with every CT set up.  Maybe preface it with CT, such as: "CT: Siege at Stalingrad" or "CT: Invasion of the Philippines."  that way, people may be intrigued by the name itself, at least enough to poke their head in and read the message of the day.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Sit down and color
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2002, 05:14:00 PM »
I completely agree with what Westy said.   The arena login screen is the best advertisement space for the CT because everyone is gauranteed to see it.

J_A_B

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Sit down and color
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2002, 08:41:40 PM »
Your right Westy,  the name can help, I guess I broke one of my own rules, Nothing is absolute.  All the parts have somthing to contribute no matter how insignificant that part might appear to be.    

The arena name change when the maps and/or setup changes sounds pretty good and is probably the way to go.