Author Topic: Rudder induced drag  (Read 311 times)

Offline CJ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/typhoonc77
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2002, 07:38:49 PM »
Toad,
   Nope, it was one of Western Michigan University's planes.  CFI's at the school get a certian number of hours to maintain currency, and he was using his to hot-dog around...

No wonder they have to charge 210/hr for the planes.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2002, 08:08:03 PM »
A Run'n'Break will set you up nicely for the landing...and about just as quickly as having to do a slow descent with break turns and slips.

Daff

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2002, 01:01:20 AM »
I agree with Toad, these a/c take a little to long to slow down, even in a slip. And has anyone else noticed that you barely, I mean barely have to crack the throttle back open to maintain alt or climb once you have slowed down to near stall speed, wether clean or in full landing config?  I know if I get behind the curve the least little bit in the real world it usually takes quite a bit of power to get the a/c back into a 'safe' approach speed. Just seems like HT has the power response of the throttle a little to bit fast and should take a bit more throttle to the a/c back into a safe approach.

ts

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2002, 01:16:06 AM »
I've used the sideslip/cross controled landing routinely fer years here, trimmed nose high and blipping the throttle to control the descent. Kills the speed nicely, and gives me a much better view of the runway past the edge of the nose. Works well fer cv landings too. It's best not be in still dangling in the air over the runway below minimum controllable air airpeed tho.. the stall is harsh with a (duh) significant roll componet.

I've noted that when i feather the prop on a dead stick I can trim out a super LOD and with the prop stopped dead i can glide like a Grob. Spectacular performance fer A/C with the power off areodynamics of a cinder block. I an't griping tho... I like sailplanes. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2002, 11:50:31 AM »
Originally posted by Daff
A Run'n'Break will set you up nicely for the landing...and about just as quickly as having to do a slow descent with break turns and slips.

Daff

Could you describe it, Daff? I haven't a clue...
sand

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2002, 11:56:16 AM »
Sandman:

I have been told that this method is also called "crabbing".

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2002, 12:29:48 PM »
Run'n'Break sounds like what we call "break over the numbers".  Line up with runway hot and clean at about 1k. As you pass over the "numbers" (the end of the runway) cut power and 3-4g turn one way or the other.  Configure flaps and gear as speed bleeds off,  one 360 to touch down.  Looks cooler than watermelon with four ships in echelon, timing the "break" to one or two seconds between ships.  Also work well on carrier landings, and is the method used in RL.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2002, 04:50:30 PM »
This is my favorite topic ever. I had no idea thet landing could be so interesting. I must have spent 2 hours practicing these landings offline. Too bad my ACM or aim doesn't seem to improve as fast. Thanks to everyone for landing tips.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2002, 05:30:22 PM »
Biggles.  I think you'll find that if you combine the method you described with the 'cross controls' that you will drop like a rock.

I do this quite often to reduce re-up time.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2002, 09:10:22 PM »
You approach the runway at medium/high speed. Halfway down the runway, cut throttle, break in a slightly climbing hard turn. As you turn downwind, drop flaps and gear as necessary and you'll be ready for turning downwind to land.

Daff

Offline CJ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/typhoonc77
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2002, 09:34:32 AM »
Yep.  The falling leaf approach.  Just get the plane really slow and behind the best L/D airspeed instead of above it.  Just above stall works great, but sometimes it's necessary to gain a little speed just before the flare since you'll be coming down really fast, and just above stall.  If you try to kill your rate of decent, you'll stall.  A little throttle, or just letting a little speed build before you need to flare works, but gaining more speed will increase our rate of decent momentarily, so be prepared.  Also, throwing in a foward slip in this situation works well, just as long as you don't exceed the critical angle of attack (stall).  A couple of airports i've flown into necessitate getting a really steep angle of decent in order to clear obstacles, and this is an OK way to do it.  I don't like to make these kind of approaches though because you're so slow that the control authority isn't too great, and if anything upsets the plane, you might have trouble recovering.  I may be a psycho when i fly in the arena, but when I fly in real life, I'm a chicken.

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
Rudder induced drag
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2002, 10:54:06 AM »
Originally posted by mrfish
i also fly the 109 wearing a half-slip but that's another issue...

Good God! Man, don't ya know there are women and children that frequent this BBS?

Think of all the innocent minds you've ruined with that mental image!