Author Topic: Wanna kick LePaul's arse? <s>  (Read 393 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Wanna kick LePaul's arse? <s>
« on: March 06, 2002, 12:36:23 PM »
Check out the games on my BBS

The LORD Game (Legend of the Red Dragon) is starting to take off, so if you guys are stuck at work like I am, away from Aces High, and looking to work out some agression....come on over to my BBS and kick mine (and others!) arse!

http://www.checksix.net/java.htm

That link will get you to the ANSI/telnet interface via a Java Applet on a web browswer.  Or, just telnet in whatever way you prefer.  A few of the ladies on my system were curious why there werent more guys playing the game.

From the Main Menu, hit "D" for Door Games, Menu "A", and select the "Lord" game.

There are many games there, I'm fumbling around Tradewars lately.  Damn Ferrengi are robbing me blind!

Anyways, you are all invited to wander in and join in the games.  Boss near?  Just hit "minimize" hehe...easier to hide than Aces!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 08:57:55 PM »

Come on, someone's gotta have a vendetta to settle with me :)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 09:20:21 PM »
haha i played lord when i was like 13 years old before i ever heard of the internet. trade wars was the best

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 10:19:18 PM »
Just got done :)  Ran out of time on the BBS playing Trade Wars!  Oh the memories!

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 11:16:47 PM »
BD5!  Did your BBS have an old ANSI game called Blade Runner?  A small-ish arena with keyboard chars as your character/enemies... Sort of turn based.  I LOVED that game... it was so cheesey i just couldnt stop.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Need an bellybutton kicking?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2002, 12:36:28 AM »

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 12:41:23 AM »
LOL!

Great Auction

As for Blade Runner, geesh, that rings a bell.  Go to the file areas and do a search for it....710,000+ files, it might be in there!

Anyone have any tips on Tradewars?  The Ferrengi are creaming me

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2002, 11:45:10 PM »
HINT:  Until you earn enough and buy a bad-ass ship with lots and lots of fighters and shields, run like hell whenever you see a Ferrengi!  If you can make it to stardock (preferably) or a sector that you know has a federal ship, you'll be alright.  Otherwise you're gonna have ta fork over the goods.

SOB

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2002, 12:05:36 AM »
What is "Wildcat Navigator?"
sand

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2002, 12:14:25 AM »
Dammit SOB, how can you be ages ahead of me already?  I've been playing for 2 weeks.  You, 2 days and you are kicking butt!

The wcNav/CheckSix Navigator is basically a fancy client/server method to connect to the BBS.  Try it out.  It was supposed to be the "new, great way" for folks to use a web browser, and with the wcNav client (or customized version, ala the CheckSix one) for folks to play the Door games, etc.  It bridged the gap between the web side and ANSI side.

Problem is, web browsers outpaced wcNav.  They couldn't keep up with all the neat things web browsers could do.  It has a nice Instant Message client (which was cutting edge in 1997, before the world of Yahoo, etc) and Message Client.  The File Client sucks, since it tries too hard to read ahead.  And with my massive file libraries, it'll spin and try to cache for quite some time  :)

So how do you like the system?  I've seen Octavious and others in there...its great, nice to see the games get some use.  I've always liked LORD, now I have others asking about Solar Realms Elite, Food Fight (which is in there) and others.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2002, 01:27:04 AM »
It's amazing how far you can advance when you find the right trading spot.  Found one that was netting me about 10,000 each round trip.  Also, if you aren't already, make sure to haggle with the ports...that gets you experience points.  You can also get experience by destroying bad traders - smuggler and robber types - just load up on some fighters and shields and only attack the puny ones with few fighters.

SOB

BTW...Sandman, that debris that is now in your home planet's sector is the remains of my ship.  Oh, and coincidentally, there might be a Ferrengi hanging around there!  I shouldn't have tried to run away from him!  :D

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2002, 10:26:59 AM »
Yep, I knew about haggling.  I found 3 ports within one hop of each other.  I think just bouncing around between those 3, I have 50,000.  But, on my way back to Earth to upgrade my vessel for more cargo holds, I was interepted by the Ferrengi.  I ran but they caught me 2 sectors further.  Bye bye 50,000 credits.

There used to be graphical front ends to that game, but I'll be damned if I can find them now.

ANSI door games kinda piss me off.  Can you imagine how cool that game would look in Flash or the newer online-game technology?  But, I do not suspect it will happen.

Hey, I found the "boss" key.  hehe, if the boss is around the corner, the game turns into an innoncent FTP screen.  Clever!

But that's been my routine the past few days...hit LORD, get slapped in the face by the bar maid, then of to Tradewars.  The second game has many more sectors (a few guys requested a vaster galaxy).

If only the work computer had a joystic  :)  I cant fly with the mouse.  Ever try it, say, in a Lanc, and try manning the guns?  Its a bad bad scene