Author Topic: Who was really the first?  (Read 181 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Who was really the first?
« on: January 06, 2002, 10:25:00 AM »
Beat this allied supersonic wannabees!   :D

Mach 1

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Wilbus ]
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 10:55:00 AM »
very interesting website.

thanx wilbus

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2002, 12:15:00 PM »
Interesting indeed, thanks wil =]

"The sound barrier is similar to virginity - also a barrier. Although many may have been on the verge of breaking through (sound barrier petting) or some already through this ,,barrier" (such as German pilots in 1944/45, I myself on 9 April 1945 and English test pilots in summer 1945 with the Me262), there is then the one who comes and says ,,yes" before the ,,altar" and is then officially the first (Yaeger, October 1947). The "Wedding Night" however, often occurred years earlier."

hehe
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2002, 12:30:00 PM »
No sonic boom, where's the sonic boom?   :confused:

Hehe, guess it still can't beat a P47 ina dive   :p

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2002, 04:09:00 AM »
nice one ,,Wilbus

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2002, 01:39:00 PM »
If you look up the record, I believe you will find that it does not credit Yeager with being the first to break the sound barrier, but rather the first to break the sound barrier in level flight.  
  Many aviation records must be similarly worded to be accurate.  Another example: Charles Lindberg was the first pilot to fly across the Atlantic right?  Wrong.  Lindberg was the first pilot to fly across the Atlantic, solo and nonstop.  There were several others before him that flew across the Atlantic.  The first aircraft to fly across the Atlantic is actually the US Navy plane NC-4.  These records must be worded precisely in order to be accurate.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2002, 02:22:00 PM »
Cc Durr well said.

Just thought it was a very nice page considering that most people thought/think that the first plane to brake the barrier was an F86 or so. This proves that it was broken allready during WW2 by the first operational jet fighter inthe world, wich proves how highly advances the plane was  :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2002, 06:53:03 PM »
I cannot believe that an Me 262 went supersonic,even in a dive.It had far too much cross-sectional drag and far too low powered engines.Also,the wing airfoil was decidedly subsonic.It would be more believable for the rocket-powered Me163,assuming that a more powerful engine was fitted and more fuel carried.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2002, 07:21:05 PM »
Henh. Right up there with Ensign Chekov.

As far as I'm aware the 'sound barrier' was broken several dozen times prior to chucks flight, with i believe 4 or 5 survivors.

Chuck was the first to crack it in level sustained flight.. as the record states.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2002, 07:45:07 PM »
Well I was the first to break the sound barrier in AH.  On my first ME262 flight on "Free Perk Night" I climbed to an alt of 25,000 ft, pointed the nose down, applied full throttle. at about 7,000 feet I lost all sound...then a few seconds later my jet quietly and violently disintegrated  :D

I WAS FIRST!!!!  :D

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2002, 08:32:02 PM »
Sheeeeeeeeeeit! I thought this thread was gonna be about Chickens and Eggs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2002, 03:57:18 AM »
It was probably Rudy Opitz.

http://www.flightjournal.com/articles/me163/me163_1.asp

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2002, 04:43:31 AM »
@nomde: sure in the plane you cant here a sonic boom. Why? When u crossed Mach 1 your are faster than ur own sound.
And a sonic Boom can only be heard by people outside the plane, that are hit by the "sonic shockwave" the plane produces.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2002, 08:22:10 AM »
Well, 262 was the first, proof exists. After the 262 had done it some US pilots did it in F86's aswell.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2002, 04:39:58 PM »
The claim by Hans Mutke is certainly interesting,but there are some flaws in the argument about striaght wings since those of the Bell X-1 and the Lockheed F-104 were very thin,only 3% thickness/chord ratio,whereas the Me 262 had a much higher thickness/chord ratio.
The very first plane to exceed Mach 1.0 was the Miles M.52 which had very thin,straight wings for flying up to about Mach 1.5.This program was cancelled in 1946 because it was thought to be too dangerous for the pilot.All the data was sent to Bell who were working on a similar configuration with the X-1.The difference was that the M.52 was powered by a Whittle afterburning turbojet engine and was to have taken off from the ground,rather than rocket-powered M.52 models launched from a bomber like the X-1.Large rocket-powered M.52 models launched from a Mossie reached Mach 1.5..
**JOKER'S JOKERS**