Author Topic: Voice Comms  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Voice Comms
« on: March 24, 2000, 03:24:00 AM »
Hyas .. i've been a user of RW for quite some time and also been using VOX in AW3 extensively .. but somehow the lack of multiple channels, and the 8 people limit (well that's actually not to bad for only 1 chhannel due to radio discipline) have made me curious if there is something better out there.

Now what i've found next to RW so far is:

Team Stream

and

Battle COM

Well i have DL'ed TS and used it a little bit with one of my squaddies but never really gotten the chance to load test it with multiple channels and more people .. neither have i had the chance yet to test BC.

So my questions are:
  • Do you use a Voice Comm programm?
  • If so which?
  • what do you think about it's capabilities?
  • any system impacts?

Cheers

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 03-24-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Voice Comms
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2000, 03:39:00 AM »
I use BattleCom every week with my Falcon4 Squadmates.

Voice quality is a bit lower than TS, but still far superior than RW (You have to let it heat up a couple of minutes...). The main reson we use BC is that it's less CPU Hungry...(TS is quite Heavy, but if you have a powerfull system, it's THE Choice).

TS Is very easy to implement and used about 5K to transmit voice (FYI I play F4 with TS or BC on a 28.8 connex and it works fine !)

BC is a bit more complicated to implement (Options to set the channels up is a bit heavy in the beginning, but once U know how...)

A Very interesting feature in BC is that you can "whisper" to someone. IE :

If you are in the Main Channel everyone will hear you, but if you are in a SUB Channel, only that Channel will hear you...you CAN over rule this by setting a "whisper" channel to someone, he will hear you regardless to what channel you / he are in...

Both Softwares are free, and are top class compared to RW !

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
GMT T.O.D. SITE
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-24-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Voice Comms
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2000, 03:48:00 AM »
Excellent topic Duckie!  I think far too many people don't know how to use voice comms, and don't even have RW installed.  They really don't know what they're missing!

Originally posted by Duckwing6:
.. but somehow the lack of multiple channels, and the 8 people limit ..

Umm, I think the limit in RW is around 30... I've been on a channel with 10+ people many times...

..never really gotten the chance to load test it with multiple channels and more people .. neither have i had the chance yet to test BC.

Well, how about we give it a shot in next weeks GMT TOD?  Yesterday we had about 10 guys on RW, but there was VERY little comms on the channel...

Shall we try BC next week, and TS the following week?  This needs active involvement from all the participants, so we need to start banging the drum asap!  

So my questions are:
  • Do you use a Voice Comm programm?
  • If so which?
  • what do you think about it's capabilities?
  • any system impacts?

I have RW hosted EVERY time I come to AH.  I broadcast the ip every 5 mins or so.  

Our squad has used RW since day 1.  It is very good for normal main arena use, up to 10 people or so.  Good radio discipline is essential, of course.

I really haven't had ANY need for multiple channels until the ToD.  In scenarios, having a separate CO channel is important, which is why BC or TS could be better.

I haven't noticed any system impacts with RW. None.  Works perfectly.

The only thing you really have to set up specificly in RW is the bandwidth.  If you set it too high, your transmissions get garbled and cut off.  But if you set it too low, your voice quality suffers.  But all in all, using RW is VERY simple and easy. BC and TS seem to be much more complicated, although "better equipped".

RW is still my #1 choice in the Main Arena, and probably will be for a long time...

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
Voice Comms
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2000, 05:35:00 AM »
I usually use RW. Tested TS a couple of times TS, like SAW said this thing uses CPU Resources.

Would like to test Battlecom soon. BTW, new releases here on March 23rd. Download at  http://www.battlecom.com

Maik
<JG2 Richthofen>

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
Voice Comms
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2000, 05:37:00 AM »
Hi all,

using  RW when possible .Sound quality is ok for me.When the voice of someone is distorted
it's normaly their connect or they talking directly to the mic which means mic is exactly in front of their mouth. Better put it a bit to one side of your mouth.
No impact on system here.
Ah, and sometimes there's something like echo, don't know why.

blitz

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
Voice Comms
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
ooops guess the 8 person limit was only for VOX and very early versions of RW ..

anyhow IMHO having too many people on a single channel is not good because you're starting to "step" on each others transmittions unless you have a VERY good discipline ...

Good idea with trying the different systems during the next few missions .. i have DL'ed all of them and can HOST...

Regarding your comment about TS or BC's complexity .. i havn't yet looked at BC but implementation of TS was VERY easy .. even easier than RW ..

A weird feature of TS is that attached users can change channels and these kind of things.. if this is good or bad i don't know yet i adds a whole bunch of options tho .. (-> example a flight of 8 can sub spilt into pairs easily by just having the players setup their sub channels and such)..

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Voice Comms
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2000, 06:52:00 AM »
You can easily overrule this Duck by Setting a "server password" on TS : Meaning poeple connecting on your IP will not need a password to connect, but WILL NEED one if they want to create/delete channels...

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
GMT T.O.D. SITE
Don't shoot ! I am only an observer......

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-24-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
Voice Comms
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2000, 08:16:00 AM »
ahh ty SAW (guess that's another RTFM [read the .. err umm... ahhh.. nice... MANUAL  ]fer me)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Voice Comms
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2000, 08:44:00 AM »
No, that's just me being "Nerd" enough to try out every Comms program out there  

Saw

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Tone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dweebsofdeath.com
Voice Comms
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2000, 09:53:00 AM »
TS and BC are good programs with some nice features RW lacks.  I think RW has the edge in channel capacity, sound quality (unless you have a server with lots of handwidth and a bounded set of friends), and CPU use.  RW will simply sound like a radio even with the entire arena on a channel, because our networking is ... uhhh... more flexible than client-server or peer-to-peer systems.

Have fun with whatever one you choose, but I'd appreciate it if you are going to use RW if you use my AH tuner page ( http://www.rogerwilco.com/ah  rather than hosting your own channels or using your own RWBS.  Also, if you are handy with Javascript and CGI stuff, I'd enjoy it if you contacted me.  It is certainly possible to make add-ons to RW that would make it even easier to find and manage channels on a single RWBS serving the entire AH community.  My tuner page is just a humble example of what is possible.  I just have not had time to produce more ambitious "apps", and I *know* there are web gurus out there.   We'd welcome your involvement -- email me.

tone

-towd_

Voice Comms
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2000, 10:54:00 AM »
hell it sounds like a real radio channel people step all over each other in the toejam findin a clear chan can be a squeak my vote is for rw they seem to be lackin nothin i need

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
Voice Comms
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2000, 11:00:00 AM »
Tone as you seem to have a closer insight into Resounding .. are there any plans to add multiple chanels to RW ?? -> if so you'll have the competition canned  

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Voice Comms
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2000, 11:12:00 AM »
I use netmeeting but that for something totally different.....doh!