Author Topic: I need Texture help  (Read 424 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
I need Texture help
« on: February 26, 2002, 04:50:17 AM »
Hello!

This is to NUTTZ and other professional :-) Terrain Makers!

Pokie wrote me, that NUTTZ has fine Cell Textures and he is good Terrain Maker. I am making map of Finland and Russian and I need following Textures and answers to my humble questions:

1. Large urban areas (for ex. Leningrad and Helsinki -towns).

2.  In Finland are very many little lakes (over 100 000!), and I need couple of Cells, where is between forest a little lake.

3. I need Lake Textures, where is little isles! It is typical landscape in Finland and Carelia -areas. I need differend coast-lines, too.

4. In northern part of Finland is area called Lappland. It is looking like Norway without sea (there is little lakes, rivers and medium mountains about 0,5 - 1 miles high). Have you seen the fine Norway Terrain? There is small Forest  and Tundra -areas. It is little bit like Grassy Rock. I need that kind of Textures!

5. I always need more fields and countryside Textures. The same Field Texture everywhere is not nice looking!

6. Is there any differend system to make big rivers? For ex. Textures, where is part of big river (or road and rail) going North to South, East to West and corossing the Texture? I have used Water Textures in rivers, and it is not good looking. I don't want to use the River (Road) objects in TE, they are not normally looking (I still love the TE)!

7. How can I mix the Textures together? How can I make them myself? Can I download selfmade Textures somewhere? Can you send me couple of your fine Textures?

Terrain Editor is fine Tool and I want to learn it totally good! I want to became the biggest and most beautiful Terrain Maker in the World! Please, help me :-)...

Best Wishes

kanttori
Joensuu, Finland
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: I need Texture help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 10:45:49 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
Hello!

This is to NUTTZ and other professional :-) Terrain Makers!

Pokie wrote me, that NUTTZ has fine Cell Textures and he is good Terrain Maker. I am making map of Finland and Russian and I need following Textures and answers to my humble questions:

1. Large urban areas (for ex. Leningrad and Helsinki -towns).

I am not really a big fan of using a tile to make the cities, especially since we have 3d cities and depots now.

2.  In Finland are very many little lakes (over 100 000!), and I need couple of Cells, where is between forest a little lake.

You can make this "cell" I prefer to call them "tiles"
Or you can use water tiles to make these little lakes. the transitional tiles will make them look right.

3. I need Lake Textures, where is little isles! It is typical landscape in Finland and Carelia -areas. I need differend coast-lines, too.
Only One tile can transition ( butt up with) water, although there are ways around this. get alitlle more familiar with the TE before you experiment. BTW, there is a "Stock" lake .BMP in the TE that can be placed like an airfield of any tile to look like a small lake.

4. In northern part of Finland is area called Lappland. It is looking like Norway without sea (there is little lakes, rivers and medium mountains about 0,5 - 1 miles high). Have you seen the fine Norway Terrain? There is small Forest  and Tundra -areas. It is little bit like Grassy Rock. I need that kind of Textures!

The tile limit is 6, the rest are transitional tiles... TOTAL there are 20 tiles. you can set a "rod" to be a river, although there are limitations with this.

5. I always need more fields and countryside Textures. The same Field Texture everywhere is not nice looking! we only have 6 total tiles to work with 1 being water and 1 being snow ( which can only transition with grassyrock tile).

6. Is there any differend system to make big rivers? For ex. Textures, where is part of big river (or road and rail) going North to South, East to West and corossing the Texture? I have used Water Textures in rivers, and it is not good looking. I don't want to use the River (Road) objects in TE, they are not normally looking (I still love the TE)!

YEs you can make a river within you tile, but this is MORE limiting your rivers than using the "roads" function and changing them to rivers

7. How can I mix the Textures together? How can I make them myself? Can I download selfmade Textures somewhere? Can you send me couple of your fine Textures?

You'll need an art program. Unless theres a website around that one of the mapmakers here has, you'll have to make your own for now.

Terrain Editor is fine Tool and I want to learn it totally good! I want to became the biggest and most beautiful Terrain Maker in the World! Please, help me :-)...

Great attitude!! ( you'll need it working with the TE) :)
Your off to a good start. Play around with it and post here many people will help you the best we can.

Best Wishes

kanttori
Joensuu, Finland

NUTTZ