Author Topic: To Rudder or Not to Rudder ...  (Read 833 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
To Rudder or Not to Rudder ...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2002, 03:49:55 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
The ONE time I got to really fly a small cessna, the pilot told me we would not use the rudder once we were airborne. And we did not, until we landed. Is that normal flying?

Some people would say it's normal airplane driving but not flying. The design of modern small aircraft lets you fly with your feet on the floor at cruise speeds. They are designed to minimize adverse yaw and are very stable and easy to fly. It's likely the pilot made sure the rudder was properly trimmed.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2002, 04:05:32 PM »
Aknimitz,

Damn son, you know as an okie we workin' the farm everyday milkin' the cows.  I need your phone number in DC.  Just started some training films.  Going to do all the planes.  P47, f6f done.

Give me a call  800-378-2533
Drex

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2002, 04:11:46 PM »
Same for me, I consider my ac crippled if the rudder goes.

I can't hit a barn door without rudder. And my gunnery is usually somewhere near 0.1 or even better..

AKNimitz you said you improved your gunnery, give us some evidence - numbers? How much your accuracy went up?

Edit: I checked your tour stats, so far the change doesn't seem to show in stats. However you have better than average gunnery it seems.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2002, 04:14:35 PM by mrsid2 »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2002, 04:13:37 PM »
Let's summarize:

Rudder = GOOD!

No Rudder = BAD BAD NASTY YUCK!

Any questions?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2002, 04:20:19 PM »
Before this experiment I was consistently around 7-9 %.  Since my changes I am anywhere from 13-19%.  

FLS, I am still confused.  There is no way to turn off rudder, correct?  So of course the rudder is always giving some type of input.  When I said in my initial post was

My advice: fly one or two weeks without your pedals. I promise, when you come back, your hit % will climb and you will find yourself in better position for guns solutions a greater % of the time.

TO me this clearly meant dont use your rudder input device for a coulpe of weeks.  Drex I dont think misunderstood my post.  He simply said that he cannot fly as he likes to fly without rudder.  I am just different, I can.  The loss of the rudder to me is not as devastating as say an elevator.  

And the intended recipients of this information was not newbies.  Newbies are not the only sticks that struggle with their gunnery.  I know sticks that have been in AH for over a year that struggle with their gunnery ... I was just offering one of my experiences as something some of them might try to make improvements.  

Nim

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2002, 04:21:42 PM »
Speaking of films... I haven't heard back from you yet on the films I sent you, Nimitz.  Speak up, boy!  I know unemployment is a lot of work and all, but surely you can find the time to check out the films and get back to me.  :)

Edit:  I also made a film awhile back of me looping and doing silly, seemingly impossible things in a C-47.  Want it?

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: March 06, 2002, 04:23:53 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2002, 04:32:42 PM »
Mrsid - you didnt look very carefully at all then.  Look at my hit % for Tours 13-17, average was 8.08%.  Then look at my hit % for Tours 22-26, an average of 14.02%.  Thats almost about a 75% increase.  My friend, you dont think thats an improvement worth commenting on?

Nim

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2002, 04:34:41 PM »
Levy,

Honestly I havent gone through all those films.  Most of 'em are pretty long, and consist of kinda the same stuff right?  Its hard for me to watch someone else's film and figure out what to say about it.  I was kinda waiting on the film editor to come out so I could break them up into pieces.  Should I just pick a couple of them and tell you which ones so that you could comment on 'em?

Nim

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2002, 04:43:21 PM »
Originally posted by aknimitz
Should I just pick a couple of them and tell you which ones so that you could comment on 'em?

Yeah, I thought that was the original idea.  Pick the ones that you think are appropriate and let me know what they are, then I'll write up a description of them for you.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2002, 04:46:19 PM »
Ah, ok.  I probably did say that and just forgot at one point :)  I'll shoot you an email this evening hopefully on the ones I pick.

Thanks

Nim

Offline Drex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2002, 05:07:15 PM »
We probably can skip Levi's films.  All those fuggin'  curse words and all.

Thumbs down

Drex
Film Critic

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2002, 05:09:39 PM »
FLS, I am still confused.  There is no way to turn off rudder, correct?  So of course the rudder is always giving some type of input.  When I said in my initial post was

My advice: fly one or two weeks without your pedals. I promise, when you come back, your hit % will climb and you will find yourself in better position for guns solutions a greater % of the time.

My response was: I realize your suggestion was a learning exercise but it might be simpler just to say the rudder should be used correctly

Not using your pedals will only improve your shooting if you are in the habit of using the rudder incorrectly.

If you manually trim the rudder to center it's effectivly an extension of the vertical stabilizor so you could in a sense consider it turned off.

Of course if you're flying the P-38 there is no need to trim the rudder for different speeds like there is with single engine fighters.

--)-FLS----
Musketeers

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2002, 01:15:58 PM »
Originally posted by Drex
We probably can skip Levi's films.  All those fuggin'  curse words and all.

If you only knew how right you are.  ;)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Tub-o-lard

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2002, 06:02:45 PM »
Nim, has Drex seen your definition of Dweeb? :)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2002, 06:15:07 PM »
cc he has.  Anyone that plays Natural Golf in my books qualifies as a dweeb.  Until he beats me in golf, it stands!

Nim