Author Topic: Stick scaling and Aircraft handling in pitch  (Read 313 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Stick scaling and Aircraft handling in pitch
« on: March 21, 2002, 04:02:17 AM »
There have been threads on this in the past but I want to get the opinions of the 'good' guys with the current flight model.

I am of the opinion that the stick scaling curve has a large impact on the stall behaviour of aircraft and therefore how well you fly it.  To be specific - I fly the DweebFire 99% of the time and have a stick scaling curve which works for me - i.e. I can fly the aircraft very close to the stall with confidence, even making pitch changes that alter stall warn volume without actually stalling the plane.  This curve also allowed me to fly the P38 in a similar fashion up untill a few versions ago.  However other aircraft have awfull stall behaviour in varying degrees - the F6F which others say is a good turner will spin at the slightest back pressure often without the warning going off and the FW series is similar (although the warning does go off it is at very low G and spin entry is just as rapid).  Even the NIKI is less than well mannered.

The point of me mentioning the P38 is that I USED to be able to fly it exacly as the Spit but since 1.08 it is nearly as bad as the F6F and I haven't changed my curve - this surely points to the interaction of the FM with the scaling curve.

So in short - do you have a curve for every aircraft or what ??

Is this something to do withs Swoops problem with P51 flaps ??

Ideas ???

Sparks

Offline McQ

• Zinc Member
Stick scaling and Aircraft handling in pitch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 10:59:10 PM »
HI Sparks
 I can only tell you what works for me and how I got there but I found out that you have to set your stick pretty much for one plane; more than one plane if you fly more or less the same kind of planes.In my case it is the 109s.I try not to be a "Jack of all trades and master of none" so I don't even try to fly anything else.
 What I am looking for in my pitch setting is the max.# of Gs I am willing to pull. Again, this is my thing and it works for me.
 So my thing is this: I don't want to pull more than 5 or so Gs  at mine plane's corner speed and the reason is: if we black out at 6Gs and your corner speed is calculated using 6Gs you will stall and black out all at once if you pull 6Gs at that speed.Now, maybe you can pull 5.8 or 5.9Gs all day long without crossing the line but I can't.
 So this is the "what" and "why" and as to the "how" I do it, here it is: I play around with the sliders. First, I pull'em all the way down, jump in my plane, get it going at about 250 or so and pull my stick all the way back watching how many Gs I'm pulling.
Next, I do the same with sliders all the way up.Somewhere between the top and bottom is the setting I'm looking for. Once I get there, I set my sliders straight and even across from left to right;I don't want any dips or spikes on my curve.
 There is one or two more steps I take to "fine tune" my stick; using the two sliders on the right( forgot the names of 'em) and basically doing the same testing as before, I'm looking for a "sweet spot". I don't want my stick to be "jumpy" so I hop in my rusty 109, go up, get one of the drones in my sight and move my stick up and down. If I see my sight "jump" up or down at the slight movement of my stick I go back and make ajustment 'till I'm happy with it. Now, if you really wanna go nuts do the above in max. zoom. By the way; I leave the roll sliders all the way up and even across.You want all the roll rate your plane is capable of.
 Sorry if I went on for way too long but figured this might help  others. Again, this is how I do it so don't have your lawers banging on my doors if it doesn't  work for you(s). LOL.

McQ