Author Topic: Failure - Security Options (Windows Vista)  (Read 422 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Failure - Security Options (Windows Vista)
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
I have lately been getting a strange problem on my computer. When I boot the computer up, the desktop takes an unusually long time to load up. Once the desktop is loaded, I am unable to run any programs. When I use Ctrl+Alt+Delete command to bring up Task Manager, my screen goes black and I get the dreaded Security Options Dialogue Box that says "Failure - Security Options". I click "Ok" button in the dialogue box and am brought back to my desktop. Again, cannot run any program, do a soft reboot, or do anything that involves using the computer. Essentially the only thing I can do is hold the Power button until the computer shuts off.

I have tried booting into Safe Mode and use System Restore to restore my computer to an earlier date. Tried this several times, with different restore points. No success. The problem would go away for a day or two, then persist every time I boot my computer up. Right now I am lucky to be able to run Firefox to make this post. I'm sure tomorrow I will have this error message come back up when I boot the computer back up. I have swapped SATA cables for my HD and CD/DVD/BLURAY drive. Problem still persists. Even tried plugging them into different SATA ports. I have even tried disabling some junk startup services relating to Zune, Superfetch, Teamviewer 6, and Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant.

I have done just about everything to fix this problem besides throwing my computer out into a fire and shooting it to pieces with my 8mm Mauser 98.

I use Windows Vista 32-bit OS. My computer is barely over 2 years old and I do not believe there are any hardware issues with it.

Anyone with Vista have this issue? Any possible way to fix the problem? Or should I scrap the OS and move to Windows 7?
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Failure - Security Options (Windows Vista)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »
google search shows this type of problem to be common with windows vista as far back as 2008/2009. everything from heat to anti (whatever) software problems and sp1. even doing a full clean install brings the problem back.

windows 7 would get my vote, but i'm not the one having to make the decision.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »
I've been using Vista since 2008 and have never hear of this error.  I hope it's something you can fix, without having to purchase
a new OS, unless you are planning an upgrade anyways.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:29:47 AM »
Found an array od "different" fixes for this - common fix seems to be start in safe mode, and run a disk check.

Other common fixes are going into msconfig and turning off superfetch

I'll keep searching tomorrow, getting old n tired here lol.......

Hope this helps.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 02:49:15 AM »
and if you decide to go ahead and upgrade,  you can possibly obtain a copy of Windows 7 Professional 32 or 64 bit ( upgrade )  for just $29.99  from the Microsoft store, if you have a valid student email address  ex.... student@something.edu  etc........  or if one of your kids, or maybe a sister or brother or neice or nephew has a student email address...... ( only 1 copy per household though..... )

I had my Daughter who is currently doing the college RN thing, to get me a copy ,  and for an additional $14.95  they will mail you a DVD for backup purposes......

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC