Author Topic: what do you think of this idea  (Read 365 times)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
what do you think of this idea
« on: May 29, 2000, 01:58:00 AM »
I had this cool idea today.
Though I never participated in the GMT TOD i think this might be similar though not sure, and it would cater to people in the US and mabye england/france timezones.

My inspiration for this is the board game risk BTW.

Basically, itll be a mini Historical arena, and would happen is that there would be two "commanders", 1 axis and 1 allies. Each side will have planes alotted to them at the beginning of the event . there would be SEA squadrons for each side and each participant wo-uld have but one life per week. If you ditched in friendly territory, you would only be out of action for that day, where if you landed safely you could replane. Additionally, a ditched airplane, no matter where it was ditched would be count as a aircraft loss. The two "commanders" would draw up the flight plans for each day and would have to authorize ALL flights, since they are "his" resources being used. Each day, airframes would be replenished based on how many fields were held -- again, like risk. If a pilot bailed or ditched in enemy territory, he could evade capture by having a friendly gooney bird SAR team come pick him up -- a film showing the bird landing, coming to a stop, ethn taking off and RTB would be sufficent since actual pickup cannot happen in AH. If the pilot was left in enemy territory at the end of the day's event, he would be captured and out of action for the week. Chute killing would be prohibited, and any instances of chute killing would result in a day's suspension from the event for the chute killer. The axis would have to use ami buffs and goonie because of current lack of a german equivilent. Basically, it will run alot like the SEA events, except with a somewhat strategic emphasis: capturing fields means you can get a larger supply of planes quicker.

We would need 2 people who wanted to act as "commanders" who would control the strategy for each day, and gameplay would be limited to a 2 hour period each day, no base capturing would be allowed outside this timeframe.

So basically what would happen is:

2 countries would each start with equal number of fields, and plane distrutions as follows:

Axis (1942)
75 109 F-4
25 109 G-2
25 FW190
25 Panzer
25 B17
25 C-47

Allies(1942)
75 Spit Mk V
25 Spit MK IX
25 Tiffie
25 Panzer
25 B17
25 C47

Then for each day each 3 fields held would generate 3 of the first type listed and 1 of the other 4, rounding down.

Buffs would have a 25K service ceiling for the event, as was historical.

If both the enemy refinery and ammo factory were brought to 0% simultaneously during the day's event aircraft production would be half of normal.

I think this could be a LOT of fun, especially if the commanders were into it for the strategy aspect. Kinda like running a falcon 4 campaign, but with real people  

bike killa

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2000, 02:40:00 AM »
sounds interesting  
btw. i can't find m16's on your list  

------------------
bikekil
308 (Polish) Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"

....come and get it

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2000, 04:24:00 AM »
Excellent idea Ziggy!  Now..where do we find someone to arrange all this?

I suggest adding the 202 and La-5FN to the list too... And M16 of course.

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »
Yes, teh 202 and la5 should definitely be added. Additionally, I came up with some other ideas:

1) for aircraft production purposes, a large airfield counts as 3 "airfield units" and a medium field counts as 2 "airfield units". Vehicle production will depend on the number of vehicle hangers held, airfields do not produce vehicles.

The number of initial aircraft and vehicles at start would depend on the number of players we get interested to sign up, probably it would be good to start with 2x the number of aircraft as players.

Probably we could have two divisions with two commanders for each side: an american division that would fight between say 8-10 CST 3 nights a week, and a european divion that would fight 8-10 GMT 3 nights a week.The two commanders for each side could talk to each other and decide on general offensive strategy.

So are people interested in this idea? We would need to draw up the rules and the spreadsheets to keep track of planes and deaths, and get e-mail lists up and running of interested people. Also, we would need to get a chain of command going, the 4 "commanders" would be in charge of setting that up so their desires for the strategy of the war could be communicated efficiently.

funked

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Don't forget F4U/N1K2

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2000, 01:21:00 PM »
funked im starting with 1942, in which neither of them fought. the plan is the first week of battle, planes will be replenished with these types. Then the second week, 1942 planes get replenished: f4u, g6, spitIX, etcera. Then 1944, then 1945. The whole engagement would last 4 weeks, ending when a country lost all its airfields or when the time period expired.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2000, 01:27:00 PM »
I'd love to see an HA with this setup
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2000, 05:56:00 PM »
OK from talking to some people heres what would probably be best:

time periods would be from from 2000-2200 GMT on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and from 2000-2200 CST on tuesday, thursday, saturday. This would mean six days of fighting per week, with each week being a "year". There would be two "heads" for each side: axis and allies, and they would divide responsibility for the MWF and THS group.

Basically, now I need to know if people are interested. If theres any squads out there that would be interested in participating in an event like this, let me know by replying. It would be cool if squads like 1st Gruppo Caccia would like to fly 202s and 205s for the axis side, while squads like 308 squadron would like to fly for the allies in spits etcera. Probably, for the best results it would be good to have a total player base of around 50-75 players per side, but it would need to be even (one side doesnt have more people than the other).

So are there people out there who would like to fly in such an event? People who would be interested in commanding it? People who would like to help me write up the rules, report forms, etcera?

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »

Originally posted by Zigrat:
OK from talking to some people heres what would probably be best:

time periods would be from from 2000-2200 GMT on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and from 2000-2200 CST on tuesday, thursday, saturday. This would mean six days of fighting per week, with each week being a "year". There would be two "heads" for each side: axis and allies, and they would divide responsibility for the MWF and THS group.

Basically, now I need to know if people are interested. If theres any squads out there that would be interested in participating in an event like this, let me know by replying. It would be cool if squads like 1st Gruppo Caccia would like to fly 202s and 205s for the axis side, while squads like 308 squadron would like to fly for the allies in spits etcera. Probably, for the best results it would be good to have a total player base of around 50-75 players per side, but it would need to be even (one side doesnt have more people than the other).

So are there people out there who would like to fly in such an event? People who would be interested in commanding it? People who would like to help me write up the rules, report forms, etcera?

I'm in Zig!  Sounds like a lot of fun and a good change to get away from the main arena.

Mox
TWC

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »
Only if you post that screenshot of me with 10 or 12 cons on my six.  I want people to know why I made the Aughhhhh! sound on Roger Wilco.

Also wanna take the opportunity to give a big (S) to Dingy, he was chasing me downhill from F1, me in a 205 and him in a NIK.  I burned up my engine and he caught me.  I think the whole thing lasted maybe five minutes and we were as close to the ground as you can get without augering or bending your prop.  I got toasted, but it was a hell of a flight.  Thanks for the "Nice Runaway" comment Dingy.

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2000, 01:10:00 PM »
I dont have screenshot of you, only of me with 12 cons   ill post that one tonight, those bishes sure are blood hungry  

So, anyone else? Im not getting alot of respose to this, thought there was alot of interest in a "historical" arena.