Author Topic: Stupid Rook Tricks  (Read 661 times)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2002, 10:57:44 AM »
Widewing, your mistake is related to SA, you never end alone suddenly, most of the times you have time to see what your country mates are doing, enganging, retreating, etc and you have some time to act in consecuence. Every time I get alone is just cause I decided to keep in that situation or cause all the surrounding rooks are already dead.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2002, 11:06:02 AM »
Widewing, there really was my point. There is no way to bend the MA to anyone's will, and expecting it to happen is an exercise in frustration. Anything else I could say would be more repeating what has been said and is obvious, so S!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2002, 12:14:43 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
Widewing, your mistake is related to SA, you never end alone suddenly, most of the times you have time to see what your country mates are doing, enganging, retreating, etc and you have some time to act in consecuence. Every time I get alone is just cause I decided to keep in that situation or cause all the surrounding rooks are already dead.

This was the situation: I take off from CV, and spiral up to 6k. I spot several Rooks milling about and suggest we head to 10, I'll de-ack it and we can cap it. As we arrive, I spot two Rooks getting gangbanged below and announce that I'm heading in, "please cover me". I roll in and shoot a Bish off the tail of a Rook. As the horde responds to my unexpected intrusion, I look for my buddies to clear my tail, or at least call out cons on my six. I spot them still at 6k, but they don't come down. The guy who's tail I cleared runs for the cover of the Task Force ack. No one responds to my requests, except Zulu9244, who is too far away to be of immediate assistance. I get 1 or 2 more Bish, but the horde eventually shoots out my motor and I bail out.

I was aware of the location of teammates and the enemy. Had my teammates responded, I believe I could have extracted myself from that situation and get them clear too. They did not respond.
I guess I'm spoiled by the quality of the pilots I fly with in the evening (U.S., eastern time). If I call for help, someone always responds and they know that I will do likewise.

My situation was one of my own making, I attacked 6-8 of the enemy knowing that they would gang up on me, but expecting that my teammates would pitch in too. My mistake was not knowing who I was depending upon. They could have been kids on their first ever sortie.

Whatever the result, It was my decision to dive into the horde, so I bear the responsibility of that result. Perhaps I should fly perked planes more often, as this will certainly temper my tendency towards being reckless. :D

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2002, 12:43:50 PM »
When you announced that you were to dive an attack the eight cons perhaps your "mates" have different plans. Personally, I rarely annouce any action before that action is done and ireversible.
IMO, the situation you describe does not mean the rooks are tards (well, we are, but that situation doesnt demostrate that fact ;)  )

Seriously, IMO, Rooks works very well, most of the time outnumbered and loosing the wars, most of the time not even enough to be present in all the fronts, but if statistics mean anything here, in the last tours we had a much better K/D than bish or knights, they are paying a big price even having two bish and two knights per rook.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2002, 02:57:37 PM »
the way i seen it widewing was that you were above and a couple of guys were playing ring around the rosie with a nik.   I dove on the nik and missed the first pass  (couldn't get on him).  by the time I got turned around you had come down on his energyless plane and killed him.   No big deal... I was gonna kill his energyless butt myself if you missed.   I claim no special talent and didn't see any shot that you made that seemed special.   You certainly werent helping anyone but yurself and were doing exactly what I (and the others)was doing.... fighting for scraps.   You were just being more patient and taking less chances.  

Organization and fields far apart causes the kind of fight just mentioned.   I would rather have a lot of action so that there is less gangbanging and fighting for scraps.    We are not all the super sim pilot that you profess to be.
lazs

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Stupid Rook Tricks
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2002, 04:38:38 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
the way i seen it widewing was that you were above and a couple of guys were playing ring around the rosie with a nik.   I dove on the nik and missed the first pass  (couldn't get on him).  by the time I got turned around you had come down on his energyless plane and killed him.   No big deal... I was gonna kill his energyless butt myself if you missed.   I claim no special talent and didn't see any shot that you made that seemed special.   You certainly werent helping anyone but yurself and were doing exactly what I (and the others)was doing.... fighting for scraps.   You were just being more patient and taking less chances.  

Organization and fields far apart causes the kind of fight just mentioned.   I would rather have a lot of action so that there is less gangbanging and fighting for scraps.    We are not all the super sim pilot that you profess to be.
lazs

What you have overlooked, or are not aware of is the two fighters I had to deal with before I came down. First, I spotted that Niki. I was at 18k, he was around 14k. As I worked around behind him, he dove for the deck. I did not follow because I had a Pony and P-38 stooging around. Eventually, the presence of my La-7 above caused both to relocate. Once they were gone, I located the Niki and circled above the conga line, descending down to 12k in a spiral. Only after I saw no progress being made did I elect to have a go at him.

Immediately after I killed the Niki, I raced right through the mob of Knits at 25, scattering them or causing them to take evasive action. Low on fuel, I headed back to 24, where I deadstick landed the Lavochkin, having run out of gas about 5 miles from the field. Low risk? I don't think so.

Now as to your other comments: I have never claimed to be anything beyond a dependable wingman. That, I believe, is something worthy of aspiring to.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.