Author Topic: stall modelling  (Read 316 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
stall modelling
« on: May 30, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
this is mostly relevant to the p38 which has neutral torque and slipstream due to its counter rotating props...

can it be possible in AH to get a stall with perfectly equally stalled wings where the nose drops forward without wing drop since both wings have completely stalled equally?

I can get the plane to drop a wing automatically after a full stall but I'm unable to get the wings to stall equally to produce the nose drop without a wing dropping turning the plane to the side.

any thoughts or comments on this?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
stall modelling
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
 Could uneven fuel weight in the wings be a cause?

-Westy

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
stall modelling
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
I tried it in the TA too where fuel burn dosnt even register. same wing drop.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
stall modelling
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2000, 01:03:00 PM »
were you slipping? that would cause one to stall before the other.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
stall modelling
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2000, 01:36:00 PM »
just thought of this....

try shift+x when you are verticle..should trim you out to be even (no wing dropping).

haven't tried it yet, (at work   ) so if any of you have a chance, let me know if that might work?

-mas.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
stall modelling
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »
Hmm i know nothing, but everything i have seen on P38 flight characteristics suggest it was very resistant to stalling and would in fact just go all "Mushy" whether this means it would stall equally on both wings and not drop one is open to debate i guess.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
stall modelling
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2000, 02:04:00 PM »
Don't know but certainly in real life I haven't met many aicraft that don't want to drop a wing at the stall, simply because it's very difficult to arrive at the stall without any slip or roll at all, and any difference in angle of attack of the airflow from one wing to another will cause one to go first - just my opinion though.

Sparks

Offline RaTFinK

• Zinc Member
stall modelling
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2000, 02:11:00 PM »
Oddly enough, I was just out doing stalls in a Citabria (airbatic backwards.) One wing will always stall more than the other. But if you hold back on the stick and bring the wing up with the rudder I could get the plane to fall like a leaf. Right rudder,left rudder,right, left, right, left, with increasing frequancy untill i got behind and dropped a wing and was frorced to push the stick slightly forward to regain flight. Lots o fun though. Havent tried it in the game but works great for the real thing!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
stall modelling
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
yup ratfink... exactly what I'm talking about. its a balancing act but its easy after a few tries to keep the wings level and fully stalled and just flutter down like a leaf  

good plane that citabria  
learned to fly the fun way on a 7gcaa. didnt have an inverted kit on it though, I always ended up having to clean the oil off the side of the plane after doing any neg G stuff hehe.

------------------
"Time is the fire in which we burn"

Offline RaTFinK

• Zinc Member
stall modelling
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2000, 02:40:00 PM »
Yes Sir. The 7GCA N88408

Started my first lesson on it and after 3 years have bout 200 hours in it..

Its about all I have ever flown..underpowered but lots o fun...friends take me up in the Pitts every once in a while.  

As you probably know, there is no sim that gets the rudder very realistic not to mention  advers yaw, dutch roll, spiral instabilities, etc...

Just imagine how cool it would be to be able to do an hosest to goodness  snap roll!
(if ya know about these- yank the stick break into high speed stall and roll like a tasmanian devil)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
stall modelling
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2000, 03:42:00 PM »
I hear ya    
ya can get the snap rolls in AH ok but the sensation of being tumbled about is missing  

but overall the mechanics all work right and function correctly in Aces High, but little details are missing in some areas of the flight model.

best flight model I've found on a sim on any PC though

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-30-2000).]

Offline RaTFinK

• Zinc Member
stall modelling
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
rgr...that...

Love this model!