Author Topic: Training  (Read 563 times)

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
Training
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »
i'm looking for a trainier to sharpen my BnZ tactics in P51D or Typhoon.  Also if any one has gunnery tips and how many of you leave your gun sights in the default location or whether you raise your seats to give better viewing over the nose.  in addition to gun convergence.
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:46:05 PM »
Also if any one has gunnery tips and how many of you leave your gun sights in the default location or whether you raise your seats to give better viewing over the nose.  in addition to gun convergence.

Whether you keep the convergence long, short or at default is a bit depending on playing style and eprsonal preference. Personally I think you can't do much wrong with the default setting, giving best allround results. When BnZ/E fighting in Typh or Pony, I would not recommend a too short setting, the good ballistics of their guns and the nature of BnZ combat will frequently allow you quite long range shots. (I have set them at 350, like I have all guns in all planes except in 262 and the .303 calibres)

And yes, you definitely should raise your seat as much as possible, so that the gunsight is just still visible. It will help you with shots where you have to pull a lot when aiming.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:49:10 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
I am not to sure about raising your seat/head psoition, I would rather suggest setting up a key/button for viewing over or around the nose.  I leave peoples convergence to their personal preference.I too adjust almost ever plane to 350,  except when having cannons and MG's combined, then I will set the cannon 25 to 50 further out so they fall in at same convergence point as the MG's...

back to the raising your seat/head position......this itself can be a personal preference as well. depending on the plane I will move myself forward or backwards in the seat so that in my default forward view, I can see all gauges that are most important...and you also gain more "SA" the further back in the seat you are, allowing you the ability to get better viewing from forward right and forward left..

going offline or in the TA and turning on the lead computing sight, will help you as far as learning how much you need to lead an opponent when shooting from different angle.......wether it be 250 yrads out, 300, 400, 500, 600 , 800.this will show you how much you need to lead them , and will give you a mental picture to draw upon when flying in other arenas......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »
My suggestion is simple, find a trainer and convert from B&Z to E fighting. Gunnery is a cumulative undertaking with alot of variables. The 2 biggest are going to be a tracking or non tracking shot and duration of the firing window. If your carrying alot of speed then your control surface authority is limited and your "cone" of acceptable AOT (angle of tail) is narrowed, in addition your actual "time on target" is minimized.

Even bleeding 30 mph off your speed increases your setup possibilities and gives you another split second of optimim firing time. Learning to work your throttle and use your rudder in the verticals to "saddle up" out of plane and with a 50-75mph speed advantage will greatly increase your hit% and 1 pass kill %...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »
I can tell you how I got better at it. Go into the offline arena and get about 10 or 12k and practice coming in on the drones from different angles. This taught me throttle control and deflection shooting and it also sharpens your aiming. I try to spend about 30 Min. a day in there, it gets a little boring after some time so I just put the music rocking and shoot drones from every angle you can imagine. :salute
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:13 AM »
i'm looking for a trainier to sharpen my BnZ tactics in P51D or Typhoon.  Also if any one has gunnery tips and how many of you leave your gun sights in the default location or whether you raise your seats to give better viewing over the nose.  in addition to gun convergence.

what times are you available? Timezone?
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
im generally available any time after 10pm eastern time.  how ever im off from work in july so i can be available during other times if we schedule in advance.
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.