Author Topic: Who has started buffing in 1.10?  (Read 237 times)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Who has started buffing in 1.10?
« on: July 30, 2002, 01:19:10 PM »
It struck me, as we approach the end of the current tour, that myself and my squadron members have attempted and completed far more bomber missions than in any previous version.   Every planned mission includes several formations of B-17's, Boston III's or Ju-88's; depending on the mission objectives.  

Are there any other squadrons or individuals that find buffing is a lot more interesting with the formations, total bomb tonnage, and massive defensive fire available to a single pilot?

MiG

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 01:25:37 PM »
I find Fluffing.....Errrr Buffing (Sorry, had a Lazs Moment there :D ) to be much more challenging, but so much more rewarding now.

It used to be the challenge of the Buff driver was to simply reach the target alive. Hell, find the patience to climb to 35k and you can hit anything unmolested.

Now the challenge is to survive the bomb run, calibrate, and hit the target. I love the new system. I love formation flying. There is nothing better than watching 42,000 lbs of bombs decimate a field or city. I only wish there were bigger targets to carpet bomb.

And there's nothing sweeter than a noob attacking my formation co alt, dead 6 in his shiny pony, only to have 6 50Cals open up on him at D900.

Best of all, the new bomb system has thinned the herd of Buff drivers, letting me slip into the top 100 in the Bomber rankings.

Loving every minute of it!

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 01:39:29 PM »
I love the formations, both as a gunner and as a buff hunter.  

Not too excited about the new bombsight, however.  Strategicaly, to me, bombers are now pretty much a worthless tool.  I can't use them, and I don't fear them.

eskimo

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 10:58:20 PM »
Are there any other squadrons or individuals that find buffing is a lot more interesting with the formations, total bomb tonnage, and massive defensive fire available to a single pilot?

I've found it considerably more annoying -- drone pilots that can't figure out how to get back into formation on you when you're flying level at 3/4 throttle... the ineffable joy of trying to calibrate ground speed against a mark on the ground when the water doesn't have enough texture to tell one spot from another... the strategic targets that almost don't have enough targets to be worth a buff run... trying to make a landing approach that slows down slowly enough that your drones don't do the Magic Mushroom Rollercoaster, fly out of range, and explode... the incessant whining of the fighter pukes who think that God^H^H^HHiTech gave them the MA for them to furball in, and how dare any of these slimeball buff drivers think they should be able to do anything that affects their furballing...

Other than that, though, I'm enjoying learning the new bombing method. Flying for 40 minutes and laying a swath of bombs across a home city... watching the explosions march across a target, right where I wanted them... seing the 'ground structure destroyed' messages fill the text buffer... showing some smartass fighter puke that, yes, I am checking behind me and no, you just thought that was a blind spot...

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 11:08:45 PM »
I like it now.  It's a hell of a lot more fun to run a carpet of bombs from one side of a base to the other then go home than it was to go back and forth 10 times ala old version.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 06:39:39 AM »
me