Author Topic: A buff pilot's request for new clipboard feature  (Read 116 times)

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
A buff pilot's request for new clipboard feature
« on: July 09, 2002, 10:23:15 AM »
First off, after my first mission, in which I forgot to turn off the calibration mode once done with it.  (Duh!)  I have been able to hit what I set the cross hair on with enough success to make it a lot of fun.

But I have one request that would help remove the frustration of finding you are not quite lined up on your target and don't have enough time to turn to planes to course via the bombsight.

Would it be possible to add a line to the clipboard that shows the course your plane will fly?  That way you could, from some distance away be confident of your approach to the target.   I envision a plot line that runs from your plane icon to the edge of the map aligned with you current heading.  Pehaps it could even take into account the wind correction at your current altitude?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 08:24:30 PM »
Absolutely!  In RL, they had navigators w/ compasses and rulers to plot out headings, this would be great.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 08:28:22 PM »
yeah i agree anythin to help the line up, even if it was just the ability to draw a line on the map

SKurj

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 09:47:35 PM »
Better than a line on clipboard would be the ability to click anywhere on the map and get a bearing and range from your current position to where you clicked.  Then just line your self up with that bearing using the dashboard compass.

Its already pretty much coded for the Fleet guns.

F.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 07:38:37 AM »
Pre 1.10 buffing was WAY too easy.  The new system seems to require some skill, and buffing has become more respectable.  Let's wait to see the new system mature a bit before it is made easier.  I'll bet that there will be players who will become very effective with buffs just as they are.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2002, 10:51:54 AM »
Would it be possible to add a line to the clipboard that shows the course your plane will fly? That way you could, from some distance away be confident of your approach to the target. I envision a plot line that runs from your plane icon to the edge of the map aligned with you current heading.

Go to the Max Øverlays Maps, Charts, and Navigational Aids pages and download the Warbirds Flight Plotter (v2.0) (it's a PDF file). Print it on transparency media and cut it out; it's basically a ruler with a protractor on it. The range scales will be junk for AH, but the tool is useful for measuring bearings.

Once you have the tool printed and cut out, bring up the map display, put the tool on the map display so that your plane and your target are on the upper straightedge and the protractor center is on a vertical sector line, and read the bearing off the protractor dial. Then you just adjust your course to match the indicated bearing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2002, 10:54:06 AM by Shiva »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2002, 01:12:35 PM »
True Popeye BUT!!! in RL they could plot a heading, in AH we cannot, its just dead reckoning and when ya think u are lined up, u go to calibrate come back check oops you aren't so now more adjustments are neccessary.

Furious has the best suggestion so far, fleet guns can do it, perhaps buffs should be able to as well

SKurj