Author Topic: GET RID OF THIS KILL SHOTER BS  (Read 810 times)

Offline Professor Fate

• Copper Member
GET RID OF THIS KILL SHOTER BS
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2001, 09:04:00 AM »
Egads!

weren't you here when the main was down a few nights ago and everyone went to the TA where killshooter is turned off?  It was like cats and dogs livin' together, mass hysteria I tell ya!  Even though I had a blast it was impossible to make any progress, it was a free fire zone where anyone and everyone was a target. Except Romulus, moto and I who finally called a truce so we could vulch planes trying to take-off  :)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2001, 09:30:00 AM »
"people firing through u to get a kill"

If bullets did no damage, they dont necessarily "go through" the other plane.

I think the main reason killshooter pisses off some is that it is abused by players to steal kills. Many times ive been hard in the tail of a con, its smoking and not manouvering much, and just as I press the trigger some prettythanghole flies in front of me and blasts MY kill away at the same time I killshoot myself.

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
I'd much rather see killshooter off, friendly planes damagable, and PNG status after the second friendly kill.  Since *both* pilots are at fault in a friendly fire incident, *both* pilots would be affected in a negative way (one gets shot, the other could lose his right to ammo).

Second to that, what we have now is ok, but it only punishes one person, when two are really at fault.  

If friendly fire did nothing, it would be rewarding 'kill stealing' (whatever that means), 'gangbanging', and all sorts of other dweeby behavior.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take 5 planes to kill one Geroge on the deck.

anRky

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
Keep kill shooter as it is. It is THE best solution to the problem experienced in online games to date.
 But if they enabled friendly collisions that could solve a lot of the 5 on 1 cons for sure as well as making peopl think twice about flying through you to steal the kill on the con you're already running down.

Westy

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2001, 09:02:00 AM »
Killshooter is the best solution to date.

I agree with Westy's idea.  Turning on friendly collisions could be one way of curbing the friendly that flies through you to get a kill.  The problem with any solution is always the implementation though.  HTC would have to figure out a way to do this with collisions turned off for friendlies for take-off's and landings.

Tango, Sargeant
-------------------------------------------
http://webpages.charter.net/davidlj/" TARGET=_blank>
412 Braunco Mustang Fighter Squadron

Of all the things in the world, ask not that events should happen as you will,
but let your will be that events should happen as they do, and you will have peace.

-------Epictetus, Roman Stoic Philosopher-------
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2001, 03:01:00 PM »
Friendly collisions are a horrible idea.  Without peripheral vision it will be a nightmare.  The ranting on the country channel about friendlies ramming each other will be enormous.

Hooligan

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by john9001:
killshooter off
friendly fire on
friendly collisions on ( air and ground)
A/C spawn only from hangers(one at a time per hanger)

what is this? a arcade game or a flight sim???

In reality friendly planes often fly in much closer formation then hostile planes. In a fligh sim there is an issue of a network lag that makes the estimates of location differ by couple hundred yards as a matter of fact and can change quickly due to warping. Even if the smoothing code is working fine, warping is expressed as unrealistic (sidewise or too quick) motion that never happens in real life.
 So keeping close formation is much more dangerous in flight sim then in real life if you have friendly collisions enabled.

The advantage of this system would be to discourage people from diving into other's lines of fire to get a kill that another worked for
 It is quite common for both players to see on their respective front eands that the other one is behind.

miko

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
If a friendly is between you and your con....

You're not close enough.

:)
"You rebel scum"