Author Topic: Planes on Fire?  (Read 329 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Planes on Fire?
« on: August 06, 2001, 03:53:00 AM »
Been seeing something kind of weird lately.

I'll shoot an enemy plane with a few good bursts from my P-51 with 6x .50s. On occasion, I will see what appears to be flames shooting out of the wings/engine, giving me the impression the plane is done-for. Then, after a second or two, the flames disappear and the plane has no problems.

Has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2001, 06:23:00 AM »
More than once I've seen a fuel trail behind me and then checked the damage screen and watched the fuel gauges only to find that all was normal. I was undamaged.
sand

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2001, 06:41:00 AM »
I've shot some planes and they'll begin to flame, then stop when I get a certain distance from them. I get in close again and the fire is still there, but I'm not sure if they are really on fire or it's just a mis-communication and fuel vapor should be showing or something like that.

Although, last night I shot up a Lancaster and set it on fire. As I was breaking down and to the right, it blew up.
-SW

Offline Kingonads

• Copper Member
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2001, 06:51:00 AM »
I have had the flash Fire as I call it but I just right it off as just that a flash fire and the flame going out before anything catastrophic but as for the fuel leak or white smoke trail that comes from some damage is when one of your empty tasnks got hit but the computer already wrote it off as gone and therefore will not show up on damage display.  But thats just my POV.

Hodo

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
Could it be related to a graphics setting such as shift F1?

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
I remember that midnight,

We where attacking a b-17 the other day. i made the first pass, smoked one or two engines and i was pulling up and ahead to reposition when Midnight made his run. he called over rw to say that it was on fire and would soon be dead. i looked back at it and the only thing i saw where the smoking engines.
it seems that when that happens it's only on your end.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
I got a couple burning over the weekend.  I let them go and watched.  They burned for a while then blew up.   :)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
Check your dot comands.

/.fe = Fire Extingisher.

eskimo

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Let me elaborate a little.

I have before hit B-17s, and made an engine catch on fire. When thie fire is there, it is only a matter of time beofre they loose the wing or just blow up.

What I am reporting here seemes like a bug or some sort of glitch where it appears the enemy plane has caught fire, which in turn causes me to break off the attack, thinking "OK he's down." Then, just as I am passing by and out of firing position, the fire stops and the plane, which I thought I had disabled continues to fly with no further signs of damage to engine, fuel or oil.

Just seems weird.

Now I think of it, sometimes when I shoot a plane down, all damage appears to be fixed just as the pilot bails out.

I.e. I shoot the wing off an N1K and watch as the plane spirals away. When the pilot finally decides to bail, there is a brief moment when the N1K seems to have no damage before the Icon for CHUTE is seen.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Planes on Fire?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Midnight, regarding the "it appears to have a whole wing".. this might be related to the LOD model.

At certain ranges the plane models become more and more detailed. Perhaps at a certain range, the "damage" to planes isn't shown anymore since it is barely discernable.

This could be why the plane appears to spawn a new wing.
-SW