Author Topic: Question: Why do you enjoy taking undefended bases..  (Read 348 times)

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
Question: Why do you enjoy taking undefended bases..
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2002, 12:35:58 PM »
Suppose somebody likes to shoot down aircraft.  Suppose they happen across a vulchfest.  Will they fly away because the vulchees can't effectively defend themselves.  In most cases it would appear not.

Suppose somebody likes to capture fields.  Suppose they attack a field and nobody shows up to defend it.  The parallels seem obvious to me.

If a map somehow fosters a large amount of milkrunning or vulching then a lot of milkrunning or vulching is going to happen.

Hooligan

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2002, 12:44:06 PM »
The people who like taking undefended bases are basically playing a different game than those who like the air combat.

For the "milkrunners" (for lack of a better term), the fun comes from the teamwork and from the satisfaction of completing the mission.   Enemy action is viewed as contrary to the goal of capturing bases and so is avoided when possible--the game, in the eyes of the "milkrunner", is about out-smarting the enemy rather than outfighting him.

For those who seek A2A combat, the fun comes from the fight, win or lose.  The focus of the game is more on PvP combat than on team coordination.  Things like base capture and such can come into play, but are never the focus for these players.

Needless to say, these two different mindsets will tend not to get along terribly well--they're polar opposites.  The "milkrunners" never like the A2A guys because the constant A2A does little or nothing to capture territory; the A2A crowd has little respect for the "milkrunners" because they never want to fight.  The A2A guys aren't strictly limited to the "furballers"; a great many A2A players DO try to damage bases, hit strat targets, etc--just the A2A crowd will always seek to engage enemy airplanes as a priority.

I myself am here for the A2A; I couldn't careless about my "country" or which base gets stolen by who.  I'm not against the "milkrunner" crowd so much as I feel there needs to be a balance between the two playing styles--a balance which is largely absent in AKDESERT.  

J_A_B

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2002, 12:48:46 PM »
where is lazs when you need him? last night me and 2 others interupted a sneak attack to take 221, ( sorry guys, never caught your names ).

for almost 3/4 hour the bish came at us with fighters, A-20's , C47's, trying to capture the base. with great skill and determination and wingman tactics the 3 of us held them off, i kept calling for support, but where was lazs and his 5 to 1 kill ratio?, off in a furball picking off newbies??

the bish finally gave up but only after some very close and hard gunfights, 1 v 1 , 1 v 2 , 2 v 1, whatever.

lazs don't like bombers , lazs don't like base taking , lazs don't like base defending , lazs don't like long flights , lazs just like furballing...........how many planes does it take to make a "furball"?

44MAG

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2002, 01:26:09 PM »
i love sitting in the tower watching bish typh raids. For every structure they hit 1 typg augers. Its laughable most of the time.

My squad used to deack a field and wait till fighters up the fight them.

I remember ag and i fighting Alexei (308th). Us in g6s him in his yak. Great times gone for ever. Now shoot the same guy down twice he runs 500 miles away to the other side of the map. My squaddie soviet followed a p51 2 sector in a g2 thinking the guy wants a 1 v 1. Well the 51 runs to a base and lands. Soviet calls him on it and dude says "I dont feel like fighting right now".  He then shows back up in a 51 ad gets chased off again. With these types of fights now wonder folks milkrun.

All field captures on the map become "undefended captures" Most leave in the face of resistance.

I dont care if I get killed I just like mixing it up a2a. I log around 5 pm east my time turn off all clip board icons and look at dar. Hardly any real a2a stuff going on.

Folks are under the impression that because there is field capture the that most be the thing "to do" in the main. If that what you like great have fun.

We had a good a2a battle going on and some guy spawns and starts screaming over the vox "we need to get ack down". What are there over 250 fields on the map and this dude assumes we need to break up the only a2a fight on the map because "field capture" is the thing in the main. He then comes back after gettin killed and fininshes  the ack and screams no one is helping him vulch. Then proceeds to strafe down the fuel.

I'd rather have umm attacking undefended bases and leave the fields where theres good fights alone.

Thank god most haven't been able to figure the buffs out.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2002, 01:28:46 PM »
"Thank god most haven't been able to figure the buffs out."

Its not that, its the fact that the buff bombsite doesn't account for bomb drag, (or visa versa? Forget...) it will be fixed soon ;)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2002, 02:15:18 PM »
When you launch an attack on an undefended field, you don't know what the situation will be by the time you get there.  Will there be one low con, or six high ones?  That's part of the thrill.

So far this tour, I've spent the majority of my time defending fields.  The vast majority of the time I've been out-numbered, and at least half of the time I've defended fields solo.  I've also had more MA fun this tour than I have in a long time.  

Most of the "Milkrunners" that I have fought off didn't give up for an easier undefended target, they came back again and again.  Some people like to fight, they just want smaller fights.  From their point of veiw, either they get a good small scrap, or they capture a field just in the nick of time.  Maybe they killed a defender or two, maybe they even get to kill them several times over.  

There is a thrill, because anything can happen at any time!

eskimo

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2002, 02:25:10 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2

There is a thrill, because anything can happen at any time!

eskimo

You pretty much described "Comfort zones" in gameplay...there are those who take themselves out of their "Comfort zones" by doing chancey, unpredicatible missions, and those who just do furballing only (would rather remain in their respective "comfort zone")  I prefer both, depending on my mood.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2002, 11:30:34 AM »
44 mag... I am sure that your "great skill and teamwork" is far in excess of mine.   I have never claimed to be more than a mediocre pilot in a mediocre plane but..... If I woulda noticed a good fite i woulda joined it.  anyone who knows me might understand that.   As for "defending the base"  LOL!   who cares?   let em take it if the fight gets too lopsided.   I fight on for a bit and then leave once the gangbang gets too bad.   I like fight that are about even in numbers.... a few extra on either side is fine tho.    I have been vulched myself trying to take off from a field but it was only because there was nothing else happening not because I wished to "defend" anything.    Also..... I don't know who you are talking about with a 5/1 K/D ratio but it isn't me.

wotan is correct... watching one of those huge raids that lose about 90% of their planes to kill a couple of leantoos is hillarious.  It makes one think that lack of skill is the driving force for "missun joinin".

ripsnore... being bored is out of my comfort zone.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2002, 01:03:55 PM »
"Why do you enjoy taking undefended bases..

Aaaah....  because there easier to take than a defended one?

Just a guess.....

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2002, 01:42:21 PM »
Yesterday I couldn't find my "comfort zone" in the new arena ( a common problem ) so I loaded up some bombs and rockets on the hog and headed out to an undefended base.

Along the way ran into a pilot with the same plan and he was very helpful. Me asking dumb questions, he was alot of help.

Low level we popped up on the city, he shot a couple of rockets, I shot a couple of rockets, stuff blew up :D and we set up for the second pass...

He was the first in and ack took him out. In I came, shot a couple rockets, dropped my bombs, stuff blew up :D and then I was also killed by the ack.......

There were destroyed buildings, fire and smoke from the city.

So...

Was that successful ?? Or unsuccessful ?

Is the taking of the base more important than landing the sortie ?

Is it all for the "greater good" ??

Or do I just have to learn how to do it and remain in one piece ?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2002, 02:29:44 PM »
you can lean to kill a vh, deack a field, and twn, and kill most of the structures in a twn by yourself.

or you can just kill the twn, shoot the ack at the vh,  land there reup a goon and capture it yourself.

or grab a gv level the town .ef grab a m3 and capture the base yourself.

There is very little co-ordination needed to capture anything in ah.

However there are some folks who quite effectively "co-ordinate" a base raid not because its neccessary but because they enjoy it. More power to umm.

But then again I am sure the bish call their suicidal typh raids "co-ordination" as well.

The question isnt "should folks be allowed to enjoy ah the way they want"

Have fun however you find it.

But much like the old buff model theres little skill needed to accomplish it.

I have come to the belief that most folks dont like dieing to other folks. They go out of their way to avoid a2a fights but will suicide a cv or airfield.

So the answer to why folks rather attack an undefended field as opposed to a2a fights is, theres a result to field capture "wow we got it" a2a fights are mostly "damn here they come again".

But ya cant make folks fly the way you want. So if it gets to boring then I guess it will be time to look some where else.