Author Topic: Set up for 2 Aug: Battle of Britain  (Read 1117 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Set up for 2 Aug: Battle of Britain
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2002, 01:42:36 AM »
Durabilty like Val????  

Everything I have ever heard about the stuka was of its good toughness. Maybe not IL2 tough but moreso than early way flamebox japanese planes. Plus Stukas can and did carry much more bomb weight than the Val wich is the big difference IMHO.

And 28mph speed is of relatively little importance for such slow planes anyway, the bomb capacity is more important.

Or HTC can just make JU87 over the weekend. :D

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2002, 07:10:00 AM »
Okay I may be wrong but after the opening phase of Battle of Britain, where the Stukas got their butts handed to them by the RAF, did the Luftwaffe stop using them  against British targets, and rely only on the D0's HE's, and and JU88s?
If this is the case why even bother with a replacement? Did the Swordfish do anything during the Battle of Britain? I know they helped sink the Bismark, and were there for the channel dash, and they hurt the Italian fleet at Taranto.......... But we seem to be wringing our hands over the importance of a couple of minor  players for BOB.
Leave the SBD, TBF, and D3a out. The Boston will cover the RAF bombing needs quite well for this scenario.................... The British were on the defensive at this stage of the war, and the Germans didnt have their ducks lined up to cross the channel anyway.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2002, 09:24:42 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
The D3A is a far closer match for the Stuka in performance and durability (and forward firepower) than is the SBD.

I think its time for the Japanese to do a little reverse lend/leasing for the Bf110s and Ju88s the Germans gave them.

D3A should be used for the Stuka.

SBD had armor, not the Stuka (Ju87B-1)
SBD can do 280mph, Stuka could do 242mph.
SBD has two 50 cals forward.  Stuka had two 7.92mms

D3A has no armor
D3A can do 242mph
D3A has one 7.7mm forward

The Val has twin cowl mounted 7.7 mm forward firing machine guns.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2002, 11:46:01 AM »
I agree with Lowe, leave the SBD, TBF and D3A out.  Just stick with the planes we have that were there.  With the numbers that are usually in the CT I think it's better off representing a microcosm of the Battle instead of trying to recreate the whole thing.    A JG and a KG  against a couple intercepting RAF squadrons.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2002, 06:39:17 PM »
I tend to agree with that.  I never was a big fan of substitutions anyhow.  Just go with the Spit, Hurri, Boston combo for Brits, and !109, 110, Ju88 for the Germans.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2002, 07:15:37 PM »
I am fine with leaving out the substitutions as well.  Although I'd like to see how the Val and SBD do against each other, we can wait and see on the next early pacific set-up.  (It would be cool to have a Jap CV with only Vals, and a US CV with only SBDs so that we can see how they do duking it out with each other...

eskimo

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2002, 08:06:05 PM »
I'd like a Val as a substitute for the Ju87, and as karnak said it was much closer then the SBD in performance I think, + an american plane just wouldnt seem right for the germans, at least val is axis :) .

I don't know how much the Fairey Swordfish played in the battle of briton, but I know the Gloster Gladiator played a pretty good size role, infact it was a Squadron of Gloster Gladiators that were the first to intercept german bombing raids in the BOB, unfortunitly there are no planes that could substitute for it :( , other then the val, but the Gladiator could out preform the val easily.

However, I can't wait to play it nomatter what the planeset is, long as I atleast have a hurri :)

PS. this question has already been asked, but what map are we playing on? I'd love it if you hosted the BoB scenario map!

...Can't wait!!:D

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2002, 08:17:39 AM »
The Europe terrain is being updated by Sundog for the BoB scenario.  If Sabre uses that terrain, it will be different than what you'll get in the BoB.  Plus, A53 in England has a problem with spawn points in the Europe terrain.

couple that with the fact that most of you always ask for 128x128 maps with closer fields in the CT, really means you'd enjoy the BoB terrain and not the 512x512 Europe terrain, IMO.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2002, 04:30:20 PM »
What happened to the one with the radar towers?

I am all for the sbd and val no tbm.

just dont put fifty fricking fleets out in the channel.  Cant you just have a fleet of one destroyer for radar?  If there is one thing that really pisses me off about bob its the flak from parked fleets.